Updates For November 29-December 3, 2021
Updates For November 29 – December 17, 2021
Good morning Alma PS families! Thanks to parents for taking the time to have virtual and phone interviews with our teachers. We love chatting about learning growth and next steps so hopefully you found this information useful. If for some reason you did not get a chance to connect, we are always here to help. Please email or call your child’s teacher or the office and we are always happy to discuss your child’s needs.
Usually I send out our “5 Things” updates on Wednesdays, but there’s so many amazing things happening here in December that I wanted to include all of this great information before December gets here! Here are the 5 things you need to know for this week:
1 – The Student Council has come up with a list of fun school-wide activities that build on the traditions we already have here at Alma PS. Here’s what December will look like:
- December 1 – Wear your holiday colours! Mrs. Scott’s class will be setting up the Christmas tree in the atrium. Student Council has purchased supplies so each student can make a new ornament for the tree. All crafts will be done in class.
- December 1-17 – Reading around the tree will happen at 9:05 AM daily. Classes are invited to count down the days until the holidays by opening one book and having shared reading around the tree.
- December 3 – During the shared reading around the tree, we will be focusing on Hanukkah. The book will teach us more about this very important celebration.
- December 8 – During the shared reading around the tree we will be focusing on Bohdi Day (Buddhism). We will learn what meditation is and why it is important for this group.
- December 14 – During the shared reading around the tree we will be focusing on Kwanzaa. The book will teach us more about this very important celebration.
- December 17 – As we learn more about Winter Solstice which happens later in the month, we will wear bright yellows, reds and oranges to symbolize the sun’s ability to give us both life and light.
As well, we will also be collecting for the Food Bank! Please send what you can in with your child. The food collected will be placed under the Christmas tree and delivered to the Food Bank on December 17th.
2 – In case you missed it last week, our students are planning a Holiday Concert that will be livestreamed using Google Meet on December 14th at 7:00 PM. Please be sure to mark this special date on your calendar!
3 – If you have not had a chance to fill out the Equity Audit Survey that was emailed to you last week, please take a moment and fill it out. The feedback being shared is fantastic and will help to make our programming even better here at Alma PS. The survey will close on December 3, 2021 at the end of the day.
4 – We have great news that the School Board has opened up the opportunity to once again have milk and pizza sales at school. We are working as an office team to get things organized and we hope to have these programs available again in the new year. Please stay tuned for further updates and information about ordering. Thanks for your patience as we work out the logistics of how to order, distribute and enjoy these fun and tasty opportunities within the health and safety guidelines.
5 – Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health is hosting a vaccination information session for children 5-11 years old. The event will be held virtually on Thursday, December 2 from 7:00-8:00 PM. For more information, please visit https://wdgpublichealth.ca/.
Thanks again for all that you do as families to support our school community. If there’s anything we can do to help, please let us know.
Principal Alma PS