Updates For April 4-8, 2022
Hello Alma Families! Here are the 5 things you need to know today to keep up to date this week:
- As schools are opening up and we start to look at opportunities to connect with family and community members, we are looking at starting up the role of volunteers at Alma PS. The UGDSB is currently reviewing the policy on school volunteers and the new guidelines will be released later this year once the process is completed. As we prepare for those updates, one of the shifts to help maintain students safety is the requirement of a police check with a vulnerable sector check that is current within six months. This will be a requirement for all volunteers who are working in a setting where there is supervision of groups of students or working one on one with students, which would cover most of our volunteer roles and field trip supervision situations. To learn more about these coming changes, we will be discussing it at our next School Council Meeting on Thursday, April 14, but as we plan this process further, please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have.
- Our next School Council Meeting will be held on Thursday, April 14 from 6:30 – 8:00 PM. We will be meeting in the Learning Commons of the School as in-person meetings are now allowed, but to help accommodate those who still wish to attend online, we will be sharing a Google Meet link as well. Details of the meeting, including the meeting link and the agenda, will be shared to our current School Council email list. If you are not on the list but would like to be, please contact the school and we would be happy to add you. For in-person meetings, masking will be a personal decision. Thanks in advance for being as understanding as your children have been as we transition through this phase of reopening our school to the community.
- Today students will be bringing home a ticket coupon for discounted rates for the Guelph Storm game for student day on Saturday, April 16. Some are in colour and some are in black and white but they work the same way. Thanks to the Guelph Storm for promoting this fun event!
- As the UGDSB continues to develop its plan for equity, each school in the UGDSB, as well as the Board Office, has been outfitted with a space for a multi-faith prayer and meditation room. Prayer mats have been provided if a user of this space would like to use it. The room is open to being used as students, staff, and visitors see fit. Our room is located in the central resource room beside the library. As always, if you require religious or creed based accommodations, please connect with the school.
- Please remember to mark on your calendars April 15 and 18 as a Board Holiday and schools will be closed on those days. Throughout the month as we look at the UGDSB Equity Calendar during our morning announcements, we will be learning about the wide variety of holidays and religious days being observed around the world during this month, including those from Hindu, Islamic, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Jewish, Bahai and other faith groups. Our students have enjoyed learning about the various events so far. Our Student Council is working hard to promote some special events this month, including:
- International Day of Pink on April 13.The UGDSB and Alma PS recognize this day as we honour the diversity of all people and bring awareness to stop homophobia, transphobia, transmisogyny and all forms of bullying. Please feel free to wear pink on this day.
- Earth Day on April 22. We will be hosting an outdoor assembly and will be doing a school clean-up. Please feel welcome to wear Earth Colours that day.
Thanks as always for your continued support. If there’s anything the school can do to help, please let us know. We’re here to help!
Principal Alma PS