Updates For May 23-27, 2022
Hello Alma Families! Here are the 5 things you need to know today to keep up to date this week:
- Please remember that Gator Wear orders are due on Friday, May 27. Please ensure that you fill out both the School Cash Online portion and return the paper form. If you need assistance, please contact the office.
- Our next School Council Meeting will be held in person on Thursday, June 2 from 6:30-8:00 PM. A link will be shared for those who would like to join the meeting virtually. An agenda will be sent out soon to those on the School Council email list. If you would like to be added to this agenda, please let us know ASAP.
- The UGDSB is inviting staff, students, families and community agencies to complete a voluntary survey, to help the board set the priorities of the new Multi Year Plan. These priorities should be future oriented, inclusive and measurable. The survey is anonymous and should take around 5-10 minutes to complete. The deadline to complete the survey is June 6th at 12 PM noon. SURVEY LINK: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3GKNX7Y
Additional information can be found here: WWW.UGDSB.CA/MYP
- As generated from the initial North Wellington Hub meeting, the UGDSB and the Specialist High Skills Major program (SHSM) are offering free Summer Camps focused on coding and construction for all UGDSB students in grade 6-8. You can find out more information here: https://www.ugdsb.ca/almaps/2022/05/20/summer-camp-for-students-in-grades-6-8/
For those interested, the second North Wellington Hub Meeting will be held at Norwell DSS in the Library on June 15th at 7:00 PM. Virtual attendance is also an option. For more information or for registration, please sign up through the link in the following flyer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1upaL77hecYsfgkE4gy1kVwRXYOCJe7b1/view?usp=sharing
- In the UGDSB we are working diligently towards being a safe, equitable and inclusive environment for all. Every child deserves to feel safe, known, heard and that they belong. One group which has not always felt this way is the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Across the UGDSB, during the month of June, the pride flag will be flown at board offices and schools, including Alma PS. To learn more about this initiative, as well as other equity projects in the UGDSB, please see the following information: https://www.ugdsb.ca/schools/safe-equitable-and-inclusive-schools/equity-and-inclusive-education/
As additional information, here are some events that are coming up to put on your calendars and some key information to know about them:
Friday, June 3 – PA Day (No School)
Friday, June 3 – New Kindergarten Orientation For Students
- An email will be sent to incoming families with more information this week.
Tuesday, June 7 – The Alma Optimists Bike Rodeo at Alma PS
- The Optimists will be helping run events about bike safety throughout the day and will be working through the school class by class. For your child to participate, they must have both a bike and a helmet. Some students may choose to bike to school that day while other families might choose to drop off their bikes at school. Knowing that there will be more bikes than usual, please ensure that we are extra careful when driving at the school. Bikes will be kept on the bike racks beside the Optimist’s Baseball Diamond at the front of the school.
Monday, June 13 evening event – End Of The Year BBQ
- Families are welcome to attend the end of the year BBQ from 5:30 to 7:30 PM. The Alma Optimist Club will be providing food for the event. An order form is going home today with the oldest or only child for each family. Forms are due on Thursday, June 2. Please return one form per family with exact cash for the order. These forms will be collected and passed on to the Optimist Club. Please feel free to bring a lawn chair and enjoy this simple chance to gather and connect as a school community. The event will be held outdoors unless it is raining, and then the gym can be used.
Monday, June 27 – Grade 6 Graduation
- Details will be sent home by Mrs. Hons.
Tuesday, June 28 – Kindergarten Celebration
- Details will be sent home by Mrs. Robinson and Ms. Hine.
Wednesday, June 29 – Last Day Of School
Thanks as always for your continued support. If there’s anything the school can do to help, please let us know. We’re here to help!
Principal Alma PS