School Council Update
Hello, Arbour Vista Parents and Guardians!
Welcome to our 2018/2019 year! My name is Erica Eugenio and I am the chair of the School Council. The start of a new school year also means the start of a new focus for the School Council. The School Council has been involved in some wonderful things, from the greening of the school yard, the purchasing of sun shades for the Kindergarten area, and new sports equipment (which our Intermediate students developed a proposal and presented to us).
Our mission is to support a diverse community of students, parents and staff by providing essential social, emotional and educational resources on their behalf. We are dedicated to working together within a proactive and caring environment to enable students and families to reach their full potential as life-long learners and contributing global citizens.
In order to fulfill our mission, we need your help. Currently we have two openings to serve as an executive member of our Council. We are taking nominations for co-chair, secretary and class representatives (this is a newly created position). Nominations can be submitted to Erica Eugenio at email@example.com. Positions are for a maximum of two years. Nominations must be received by September 18, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. Voting will take place on September 20, 2018 at our first Council meeting. Nomination forms can be found here SchoolCouncilNomination
The Co-Chair will assist the Chair with:
- Chairing Council meetings;
- Ensuring that the minutes of Council are recorded and maintained;
- Distributing by-laws;
- Facilitating collaborative decision making;
- Facilitating the resolution of conflict within Council;
- Participating as ex-officio members of all committees established by the school council;
- Communicating with the school principal on behalf of the Council;
- Ensuring communication between Council and entire parent school body;
- Encouraging the participation of parents and others within the École Arbour Vista Community;
- Participating, when required, in information and training programs;
- Consulting with senior Upper Grand District School Board administration and Trustees, as required;
- Preparing and submit an annual report to Council and the Upper Grand District School Board.
The Secretary will:
- Attend and participate regularly in Council meetings;
- Record and maintaining accurate minutes of Council meetings;
- Distribute the minutes to all Council members and other attendees in a timely manner,
following each meeting;
- Manage Council correspondence;
- Maintain the School Council By-Laws;
- Maintain a School Council Members’ list; and
- Presentg Council minutes and correspondence at meetings, or as the need arises.
- Attend Council meetings
- Participate in fundraising events
- Be a spokesperson for your class
- Relay information back to class parents
If you have questions regarding any of the positions noted above, please feel free to reach out to me.
I’m looking forward to meeting everyone at our first School Council meeting and working with you throughout the school year.