Wellness Works: Welcome Back!
September 14, 2022
The Upper Grand District School Board is continuing with the Wellness Works monthly themes across all grades in the 2022-2023 school year. For September we are once again bringing our collective focus to the theme of: WELCOME, CONNECTION and BELONGING.
We remain committed, in partnership with you, to ensuring a mentally healthy return to school and an on-going emphasis on wellness throughout the year. Every month, you will receive our newsletter outlining the theme that we are focusing on, as well as some activities and conversation starters that you may choose to use to engage in with your child/ren outside of school time around the theme of the month.
The start-up of school can be a stressful time for students and their families. Routines are once again shifting, expectations are changing and there are many “firsts.” Here are some things you can do this month with your child/ren:
- Stick to routines as much as possible, like regular bedtime and wake up times
- Find out what your child is excited about for the year but also what they might be nervous about with the new year
- Help your child/ren identify some strategies for times when they are feeling anxious (e.g. deep breathing) so they have it ready in their minds when/if they should need it
- Share each evening about something that was positive during the day, something that was difficult (bonus for adding how they got through the difficult time), and also something they are looking forward to tomorrow
- Help your child/ren identify adults in the school building that are their “go to” adults (e.g. teacher and Child and Youth Counsellor)
Returning to school in the fall can result in mixed emotions including excitement, anticipation, nervousness, and worry. As we work to build and strengthen wellness skills, we are essentially building a strong foundation, a toolbox of strategies, to help your child/ren as they move through this school year in their own, unique and individual way.
We look forward to the year ahead!
~ The Wellness Works Team @ UGDSB
A special thanks to Edge Mutual for their support of Wellness Works