Board Meeting Highlights for August 2021
For Immediate Release
September 1, 2021
GUELPH, Ontario – The August meeting of the Upper Grand District School Board was held on August 31, 2021. The following provides highlights from the meeting.
Elementary Principal/Vice-Principal Transfers and Appointments
The following Elementary Principal and Vice-Principals transfers and appointments are effective Sept. 1, 2021:
- Gerry Walker from Principal, Brant Avenue PS to Principal of Equity and Indigenous Education, Guelph Board Office. *Leslie Newman will be placed as Temporary Principal at Brant Avenue PS
Vice Principal Transfers:
- Keith Coutu from Vice-Principal, Westminster Woods PS to Vice-Principal, Elementary Remote School
Vice Principal Appointment:
- Erin Hamilton from Vice-Principal, Stanley Mills PS, Peel DSB to Vice-Principal, Westminster Woods PS
New Student Trustees
The Board introduced the new UGDSB Student Trustees for this school year. Emilie Hill is a student at Centre Dufferin DHS and is representing Rural Schools. Vikasni Kuganesan is a student at Centennial CVI, representing Urban Schools. These students were elected to serve on the Board for the 2021-22 school year. The Student Trustees also sit on Student Senate, which is a link between the students and school board. The Senate is composed of one dedicated senior student representative from each of the board’s secondary schools selected by the student government of each of the secondary schools. Each senator attends a meeting once a month to share events taking place within their school, to present ideas or concerns, and to address and provide student voice on important issues.
Business Operations Committee Update
The Board of Trustees approved a motion, that staff be directed to undertake a study of the consolidation of a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 French Immersion program in West Guelph schools.
Annual Capital/Renewal Projects Update
Operations Officer Paul Scinocca provided the Board with an update of the construction and renewal work done over the summer, as numerous projects took place at schools across the district. This year’s renewal work paid close attention to ventilation and accessibility, and included general renovations, mechanical and electrical projects, asphalt paving, roofing replacements, Building Automation System replacements and upgrades, and more. Additionally, in the 2020-21 school year, school boards received funding to support COVID-related upgrades, including ventilation projects, scheduled to be completed by December 2021 or later. The UGDSB received funding for 20 Capital/Renewal projects in this program, as well as funding for an additional 24 projects. Details about these projects are posted on the board website at: https://www.ugdsb.ca/community/coronavirus/2021-22-school-operations/2021-22-school-operations-ventilation-and-air-quality/
Vaccination Disclosure Protocol
To ensure that UGDSB workplaces remain as safe as possible for students and staff, trustees passed a motion, that the Director of Education be directed to work with WDG Public Health, local health partners, and UGDSB employee groups to develop a strategy and protocol to require all UGDSB staff, Trustees, and visitors to disclose and provide proof of vaccination status. The procedure will address the following key areas:
- Individuals covered by the procedure are expected to submit a formal attestation if they are “fully vaccinated” against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination.
- Individuals who have not been vaccinated will be required to attend mandatory education on the benefits of vaccination.
- That the procedure contemplate where regular COVID-19 testing would be required.
- A schedule for dates by which point any unvaccinated individuals must disclose if they have received first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccines.
- UGDSB will comply with its human rights obligations and accommodate employees who are legally entitled to accommodation.
- That the finalized procedure and strategy be implemented prior to school reopening on September 7, 2021, if feasible, or as soon as possible thereafter.
School Reopening Plans
Staff gave a presentation on the UGDSB’s school reopening plans for the fall. The presentation outlined a number of areas including COVID-19 case management, health and safety protocols for school sites, ventilation enhancements, transportation, school day operations, and student support and program services.
Information about the board’s reopening plans for the fall are posted on the board website at www.ugdsb.ca/2021. Updates will be posted as required by the provincial government and public health officials.
The next regular monthly meeting will be held on Tuesday September 28, 2021. Meeting details will be posted online at https://www.ugdsb.ca/board/board-meetings/.
About the Upper Grand District School Board
The Upper Grand District School Board serves more than 35,000 students through 65 elementary schools and 11 secondary schools in the City of Guelph, County of Wellington and County of Dufferin. The UGDSB covers the ancestral and traditional territories of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Six Nations of the Grand River, and Saugeen Ojibway Nation Territories. Student success is the goal of over 4,000 dedicated teaching and support staff who are aided by the contributions of caring volunteers and community partners.
Learn, Lead, Inspire…Together