Congratulations to our 2020-2021 Everyday Heroes
For Immediate Release
April 20, 2021
GUELPH, Ontario – Over the past year, many Upper Grand District School Board staff, students, community members and volunteers continued to go above and beyond to support our schools and communities.
The UGDSB is pleased to announce our 2020-2021 Everyday Heroes.
The Everyday Hero Awards Selection Committee chose 13 finalists from a large group of deserving nominees. This year’s Everyday Hero Awards recipients include dedicated school and board staff, a bus driver, student groups and volunteers.
The winners are:
- Amanda Dawson, Volunteer/Morning Greeter, Mitchell Woods PS
- CDDHS Black Chapter Student Group (Mya, Harshreet, Shania, Janine, Torya, Ashanti, Danielle-Nustrat, Jahmeil, Michael, Mercedez, Addison, Azaria, Deana, Jaden, Ranjit, Alexis, Myrissa, Tiara, Jeniah, Aminah, Doreen, Devaun, Janique, Divita, Shereka, Selena, Jahniya, Rayna, Ashana, Gabrielle, Asonya, Britney, Holly), Students, Centre Dufferin DHS
- Elementary Remote School Administration Team (Mike Anderson, Alan Gouk, Jen Apgar, Blayne Primeau, Emma Reay, Amy Cliff, Nia Pommier, and Elise Benallick. Part time Vice Principals: Kristen Alie, Keith Coutu, Theresa Darroch, Shawn Henderson, Hayley Holm, Jackie Irwin and Deanne Prins), Staff team
- Garry Willfang, Bus Driver, Ponsonby
- Grace and Mark Evans, Volunteers/Breakfast Coordinators, Guelph CVI
- Katelyn Charbonneau, Child and Youth Counsellor, Centennial Hylands ES and Primrose ES
- Leigha Turner, Teacher, Orangeville District SS
- Ross Watson, Teacher, Erin DHS
- Tammy Grieco, Educational Assistant, College Heights SS
- The Den Life Skills class (Dave Griffiths, Greg Senyshyn, Karl Baber, Heather Reed, Christine Chambers, Dorothy Dunbar, Kim Uhrig, Joanne Parish, Brinley, Austin, Nicholas, Alex, Eric, Justin, Pierce and Landon), Staff and students, Wellington Heights SS
- Tim King, Teacher, Centre Wellington DHS
- UGDSB Health and Safety Team (Nancy Culham, Natalie Ford, Melissa Cranley, Alison Kay), Staff team
- UGDSB Payroll Department (Sherry Pirico, Lange Frosst, Krista McNaught, Amy Carter), Staff team
The criteria for the annual awards are: performance at a high level at all times, a significant school or system-related achievement, a specific innovation or achievement of significant value or importance to the system, or a unique circumstance worthy of recognition by the board.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this year we will be honouring our recipients through a virtual ceremony. The ceremony will premiere Monday May 10, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. Anyone can access the ceremony by visiting: https://vimeo.com/ugstream.
Congratulations to all of the winners, nominees and those who nominated them.
About the Upper Grand District School Board
The Upper Grand District School Board serves more than 35,000 students through 65 elementary schools and 11 secondary schools in the City of Guelph, County of Wellington and County of Dufferin. The UGDSB covers the ancestral and traditional territories of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Six Nations of the Grand River, and Saugeen Ojibway Nation Territories. Student success is the goal of over 4,000 dedicated teaching and support staff who are aided by the contributions of caring volunteers and community partners.
Learn, Lead, Inspire…Together
Heather Loney, Communications and Community Engagement Officer
Upper Grand District School Board
Megan Sicoli, Administrative Officer, Communications
Upper Grand District School Board