Information for UGDSB schools regarding international travel and COVID-19
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of the COVID-19 situation, please visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus for the most recent updates.
March 12, 2020
Dear UGDSB parents/guardians,
The health and safety of all students, staff and school communities is our top priority. As with all public health matters, the Upper Grand District School Board works closely with Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health and other health agencies to monitor and address concerns, and that is the case with COVID-19.
With March Break approaching, we have received questions about international travel and precautions required upon returning from travel.
The following information is from WDG Public Health and the Public Health Agency of Canada and is current as of March 12, 2020. Please note that the situation regarding COVID-19 is changing rapidly, therefore we encourage everyone to check the following websites for the most up to date information as the situation evolves:
There are several active travel health notices for COVID-19. Each country or area may have different levels of risk. These risk levels may change as the COVID-19 event evolves internationally. All travellers should be aware that there are health risks when you travel. It is important to check your destination before you leave to know the risks and to be prepared.
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.
When you return from travel
PHAC says that the risk to Canadian travellers abroad is generally low but will vary depending on the destination. PHAC is closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19 in other countries.
If you have travelled outside Canada, PHAC asks that you monitor your health for fever, cough and difficulty breathing for 14 days after you arrive in Canada. If you become sick upon your return, call WDG Public Health for further instructions.
If you have travelled outside Canada, you can reduce the risk of spreading infection by following prevention measures when returning to Canada.
STAFF AND STUDENTS WHO HAVE RETURNED FROM IRAN OR HUBEI PROVINCE IN CHINA:
- Within 24 hours of arriving in Canada, contact WDG Public Health at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006.
- Stay at home and self-isolate, avoid close contact with others, including other residents of the home, for 14 days from the date of travel from Iran or Hubei province.
- Individuals who develop symptoms for COVID-19 (fever and/or cough or difficulty breathing) should contact their health care provider. If you are tested for COVID-19, please call Public Health at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006, and speak with someone in the call centre.
STAFF AND STUDENTS WHO HAVE TRAVELLED OUTSIDE OF CANADA:
- During the 14 days after your return, monitor your health for fever, cough and difficulty breathing. If you develop symptoms of COVID-19, isolate yourself at home as quickly as possible and contact your health care provider. If you are tested for COVID-19 please call Public Health at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006, and speak with someone in the call centre.
- Describe your symptoms and document your travel history. Your health care professional or health authority will provide instructions for you to follow, including appropriate arrangements for your medical assessment.
All travellers have a responsibility to check official travel advisories and take proper safety precautions when travelling. Travellers also have a responsibility to report to Public Health if they have returned from travel and develop symptoms of COVID-19.
IN AN EMERGENCY: Individuals with severe respiratory symptoms should call 911 and advise the operator of your recent travel.
- If a child will be absent from school, parents must follow our current practice and call the child’s school to report any absences as well as the reason for the absence.
- Staff are to follow the board’s regular process for reporting absences.
We will continue to monitor this situation and provide updates to our communities as information becomes available. Thank you and best wishes to you and your family for a restful March Break.
Director of Education
To download a copy of the March 12 letter, please click the link below: