Kindergarten registration begins January 7, 2020 – Here’s what you need to know
For the 2020-2021 school year (registration opens on January 7, 2020):
- Children who were born in 2016 may attend Junior Kindergarten (JK).
- Children who were born in 2015 may attend Senior Kindergarten (SK).
- If your child attended JK in the Upper Grand District School Board you do not have to re-register for SK.
In the Upper Grand District School Board, we use the blended program model. Junior and senior kindergarten students learn in the same classroom. All our elementary schools provide Full Day Kindergarten (FDK) for 4 and 5 year olds.
We have both and English FKD program and a French Immersion FDK Program. The French Immersion and English programs share the same Ministry Kindergarten Program and expectations. In French Immersion the program is taught only in French. Parents interested in applying for French Immersion will need to be aware of the application process that is detailed below.
French Immersion caps and entry point:
Please note that each UGDSB elementary school that offers FI has a Junior Kindergarten enrolment cap. JK is the only entry point for French Immersion in Upper Grand. Entry into FI from other jurisdictions is possible if your child has previous FI experience. Check with the school for more detail.
You can only apply for one school in the UGDSB. Application at more than one school will void all applications.
To learn more about the FI cap, entry point and random selection process, visit www.ugdsb.ca/jkfi.
How do I register my child? Pre-Registration information for both English and French Immersion:
- Pre-register your child (JK and SK) online at: UGDSB Pre-Registration Online Form
- In the online pre-registration site, use the school locator feature to determine which school your child can attend
- Check for a confirmation email indicating you’ve successfully completed pre-registration
- Once you have pre-registered, go to your child’s home school to drop off required documentation to complete your registration. Required documentation:
- Proof of Age (Birth Certificate, Birth Registration Form, Baptismal Certificate, Canadian Citizenship/Permanent Resident Card, Passport, & custodial documents (if applicable))
- Immunization Record (Please submit directly to Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health)
- Proof of Address (e.g. utility/tax bill, purchase/lease agreement. A driver’s license is not accepted.)
- Verification of date or arrival/immigration documents (if child was not born in Canada)
- If you are registering your child for JK English, make sure you have completed your registration and submitted your documentation within two weeks of submitting your online pre-registration.
- For the 2020-2021 school year: If you are applying for your child to attend JK French Immersion, make sure you have completed your pre-registration, submitted your documentation, and received a FI Application Receipt directly from the school by January 17, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. The FI application process is not complete until you have received this receipt.
- For the current school year: If you are applying for your child to attend JK French Immersion, acceptance will be subject to available space.
How to pre-register online: