OSSTF Labour Update: All UGDSB schools to close on December 4 if no deal is reached
November 29, 2019
A message to all parents/guardians in the Upper Grand District School Board (elementary and secondary):
The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) has announced that, unless a deal is reached at the provincial bargaining table, all OSSTF members will conduct a one-day walkout (full withdrawal of services) on Wednesday Dec. 4. OSSTF members will return to their school/work site and will resume normal activities on Thursday Dec. 5.
In the UGDSB, OSSTF represents five distinct groups of employees:
- Secondary Teachers and Secondary Occasional Teachers (secondary schools and Continuing Education)
- Educational Assistants (elementary and secondary schools)
- Early Childhood Educators (elementary schools)
- Office Clerical Technical Staff (elementary, secondary, and board sites)
- Professional Student Support Personnel, such as Child and Youth Workers, Social Workers, Speech Language Pathologists and Psychologists (elementary and secondary schools)
This withdrawal of services causes significant impact to all UGDSB schools, including our capacity for effective supervision and ability to ensure student safety. As a result, if a deal is not reached and the one-day strike occurs, all schools in the UGDSB (elementary, secondary and Continuing Education) will be closed to students on Wednesday Dec. 4.
Parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to begin making alternate arrangements for your children prior to the one-day strike.
Community Use of Schools and third-party operated child care centres will remain open during this labour action. Some Before and/or After School Programs may be operating and each operator will communicate directly with families.
Provincial bargaining will continue this weekend and we are hopeful that a resolution will be reached before Wednesday.
For further information please:
We will continue to provide updates as information becomes available.