Parent/Caregiver and Community Webinar: Suicide Awareness and Prevention
May 13, 2022
The Grove Hubs in partnership with the Canadian Mental Health Association Waterloo-Wellington (CMHA WW) is presenting a 2-part webinar series on suicide awareness and prevention.
These webinars are for parents/caregivers and community members.
Part 1: SUICIDE AWARENESS – What we know about suicide and suicidality
- Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 7:00pm to 8:30pm
- What is suicide? Many people think of suicide as a syndrome, symptom, disease, or illness. But suicide is a behaviour. Suicidality is not about wanting to die; it is about struggling to live.
- The facilitators will review the current context of suicide in Canada. We will discuss the risk factors that can lead to suicide as well as the protective factors that keep a suicidal person from acting on their thoughts.
- Presenters will share lived experience of suicide and answer your questions.
Part 2: SUICIDE PREVENTION – Asking the hard questions
- Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 7:00pm to 8:30pm
- Research shows that the biggest obstacle to human intervention is fear. Even when we recognize that someone may be suicidal, we can be paralyzed by fear, making it difficult to say or do anything that might prevent a tragedy.
- Presenters will share lived experience of suicidality and talk about breaking the silence.
Both events will be held on Zoom and will be recorded. To register, please email [email protected]