Reminders: School crossing guards and pedestrian safety
February 11, 2021
Please review the information below from our community partners and do your part to help keep school crossing guards and pedestrians safe.
Adult school crossing guards must stay in the road until everyone is safely on the sidewalk. When you start crossing after the don’t walk signal starts, you put your adult school crossing guard at risk if the light changes before they can safely exit the intersection.
Keep your crossing guard safe: Always obey walk signals
For your safety, follow these tips when crossing roads:
- Please obey crossing guards when present
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing
- Get off of bikes, skateboards and scooters before crossing
- Never stop in the middle of an intersection; stopping may confuse waiting drivers
- Always yield to emergency vehicles; if you’ve already started crossing, clear the road quickly and safely
- At crossings with signals:
- Only cross when the pedestrian walk signal is displayed
- Never start crossing when the don’t walk signal is flashing; this signal means you don’t have enough time to cross safely