UGDSB Board Meeting Highlights for November 2022
For Immediate Release
November 30, 2022
GUELPH, Ontario – The municipal election, which saw the election of School Board Trustees, was held in October. These highlights represent the work of the 2018-2022 Board of Trustees (November 1-14, 2022) and the 2022-2026 Board of Trustees (November 15-30, 2022).
School Operations and Healthy Schools
Staff provided information on the continued health and safety preventative measures in UGDSB schools, as well as some measures that will be reintroduced. Below are highlights from the presentation and communications sent out to UGDSB staff and families.
Masking in Schools
Earlier this month, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore said he is “strongly recommending” that Ontarians wear masks in all indoor public settings, including in schools and in childcare settings, due to the circulation of respiratory viruses and the pressure this is putting on the province’s health care system. The UGDSB strongly recommends people wear masks in schools as a key preventative measure, in addition to the layers in place and detailed below. We understand that people may choose to wear or not wear a mask in schools, and we will continue to ensure our learning environments are respectful and supportive of an individual’s personal choice.
The following health and safety protocols continue to be in place at UGDSB schools:
- Screen daily prior to arriving at school/work for symptoms
- Stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) provided (medical masks, eye protection, gowns, gloves etc.) including non-fit N95 and medical grade masks, eye protection for staff
- We continue to emphasize proper hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Alcohol-based hand rub is available throughout schools and buildings
- We continue with daily cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces
- Every class, learning space and staff eating area in the UGDSB has a standalone HEPA filter unit, with more than 2,500 units across the board. Standalone HEPA units must be running in all occupied spaces where they are located
- The UGDSB continues to encourage the opening of windows where possible and maximizing the use of outdoor learning spaces
- School staff, students and visitors will continue to see signs encouraging best practices related to preventative measures
- Staff continue to monitor levels of unfilled jobs due to staff illness
- Staff continue to meet with Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health regularly and will provide schools, families and staff with public health recommendations
Resumption of Absence Tracking
The board knows how important quick access to information and data is to families, students and staff. The UGDSB has resumed Daily School Absence reporting on the board website allowing us to monitor absenteeism rates and transparently share this information with the public.
The UGDSB is posting absenteeism data daily, by school, from Monday to Friday on the UGDSB public website. The webpage shows the overall percentage of absenteeism in any given school and compare it to that particular school’s September attendance baseline.
Public Health Recommendations
- Stay home if you are sick
- Stay home until all of the following apply to you:
- Your symptoms have been improving for at least 24 hours (or 48 hours if you had nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea)
- You do not have a fever
- You do not develop any additional symptoms
- When your symptoms are improving and you are no longer isolating at home, doing the following can provide extra protection against the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory viruses circulating in the community. For 10 days after your symptoms started:
- Wear a well-fitted mask in all public settings
- Avoid non-essential activities where you need to take off your mask (for example, dining out)
- Avoid non-essential visits to anyone who is immunocompromised or may be at higher risk of illness (for example, seniors)
- Avoid non-essential visits to highest risk settings in the community such as hospitals and long-term care homes
- Wear a well-fitted mask in public settings
Elementary and Secondary Principal and Vice-Principal Eligibility Lists
Staff presented information about both the Elementary and Secondary Principal and Vice-Principal Eligibility Lists. In accordance with UGDSB Policy 404 Selection of Principals and Vice-Principals, applications for the Elementary and Secondary Principal and Vice-Principal Eligibility Lists were sought in September 2022. Applications were subsequently screened, and interviews organized. The appointments to the Eligibility Lists are based on the evaluation of the candidate’s application package, references, and performance in an interview.
ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY LIST:
- Hamilton, Erin
- Pranger, Rylan
- Taylor, Lindsay
ELEMENTARY VICE PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY LIST:
- Adams, Nathan
- McCabe, Anneke
- McCann, Michelle
- Morton, Tanya
- Singh, Vicki
SECONDARY PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY LIST:
- Burns, Joseph
SECONDARY VICE-PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY LIST:
- Kirkland, Christine
- Scott, Brayden
Trustees received a report on the 2021-22 Trustee Expenses. Trustee Expenses are posted on the public UGDSB website on an annual basis. The report contains a summary of expenses that covers the financial year September 1st to August 31, 2022. Expenses are reported for each Trustee in the following categories: Professional Development, Travel, Office Supplies and Meeting Expenses. It should be noted that some Trustees travel further distances for meetings. In comparison to prior year expenses, Travel and Professional Development expenses were lower in 2020-2021 due to COVID-related restrictions. The report will be posted online at https://www.ugdsb.ca/board/finance/.
Staff shared the Trustee Honoraria amounts for the 2022-23 school year. From November 15, 2022 to November 14, 2023, trustee honoraria will be set at the following:
- Chair – $18,775
- Vice Chair – $15,400
- Other Trustees: $12,025
The honoraria are set by base amounts plus an enrolment amount based on the Average Daily Enrolment (ADE) from the budget for the previous year.
Audited Financial Statements
Trustees approved the board’s 2021-22 Audited Financial Statements and the 2021-22 Audited Financial Statements of the UGDSB Trust Funds, prepared by KPMG. The audited statements will be posted on the board’s website.
Final and Inaugural Board Meetings
Expressions of Appreciation of the Board
On November 14, 2022, at the final meeting of the 2021-22 Board, Trustees expressed their appreciation to the media for coverage of education issues during the past year and for their continued cooperation and help broadcasting school bus information on inclement weather days during the school year. They also expressed their appreciation to Director Peter Sovran for his cooperation and assistance during the past year, and to all staff members for their loyalty and dedication. Expressions of appreciation were also extended to the Student Trustees and Student Senate for their services and dedication. Trustees also provided their remarks, thanks and reflections on the past year and also, for those trustees not returning, their time as trustees in the UGDSB.
Trustee Mesenbrink elected as Chair of the UGDSB
At the November 15, 2022, Inaugural meeting of the 2022-26 Board of Trustees, Trustee Ralf Mesenbrink, school board trustee for Wards 2, 3 and 4 in the City of Guelph, was elected Chair of the Upper Grand District School Board. For more information, please visit the UGDSB website.
For Board Meeting agendas and schedules please visit the UGDSB website at https://www.ugdsb.ca/board/board-meetings/.