Centennial Hylands Elementary School expects that all students will dress in a way that is appropriate for the school or foe any school-sponsored event. Students have the right to learn in a safe and caring space that is free from bias and discrimination, and have a right to express their individuality respectfully. It is an expectation that student dress choices respect the UGDSB’s intent to promote a community that is inclusive of a diverse range of identities.
Students MUST wear:
- A shirt or the equivalent (e.g. a sweater, etc.) with fabric in the front, back and on the sides under the arms, AND
- Pants or the equivalent (e.g. skirt, sweatpants, leggings, dress, shorts, etc.), AND
- Shoes or the equivalent (e.g., boots, sandals, etc.).
Clothing must fully cover genitals, buttocks, and breasts with opaque fabric.
To participate in gym class or play on the climber, students must wear closed toe shoes, with a flat, rubber treaded sole, that fastens securely to the foot.
Students CANNOT wear:
- Clothing or accessories containing violent language or images
- images , logos, or language depicting drugs, alcohol, or an illegal item or activity
- Images or logos that portray: ethnic prejudice, racism, sexism, vulgarity, gang-related markings, obscenities, profanity, hate speech, and/or pornography
- Images, logos, or language that creates a hostile or intimidating environment
- Any clothing that reveals visible undergarments (visible waistbands and visible straps are allowed)
- Swimsuits (except as required in class or in athletic practice)
- Accessories that could be considered dangerous or could be used as a weapon (with the exception of religious accessories or articles of faith such as a Kirpan)
- For safety consideration – clothing items must not obscure the face or ears, except as a religious observance