Guest Speaker Tuesday, May 15th 6:30pm
Free Workshop for all Central Parents and Caregivers!
Tuesday May 15th, Central Public School Arts Room 6:30-8:00pm
“Don’t Pay Attention — Make Attention: From Cell Phones to Self-Regulation”
Professor Marcel O’Gorman
Central P.S. School Council has invited guest speaker Marcel O’Gorman, University Research Chair and Professor of English Language and Literature at the University of Waterloo. He is also Director of Critical Media Lab, located in Downtown Kitchener. Critical Media Lab researchers, students and artistic collaborators create objects-to-think-with that reflect the impacts of technology on society and the human conditions.
This 1.5 hour workshop will help us to better understand:
- The definition of Digital Addiction. How are phones designed to be so addictive?
- The impact of technology on society as a whole and the mental health impact on youth today.
- Youth and their state of vulnerability when using technology.
- How we can empower youth to regulate their own use of technology while also still being the parent.
- The first 30 participants registered for and attending this event will take home a DIY “Resistor Case” (designed and created by Marcel O’Gorman) for their phones to try at home as part of this discussion.