Sledding at Gateway
The winter season is fast approaching, and with it comes a lot of exciting snow activities! We are fortunate here at Gateway to have access to a beautiful tobogganing hill! However, with this access also comes some risk and important safety considerations. It is our top priority to ensure the safety of students, staff and the community and because of this, we would like to make you aware of important Safety Considerations that MUST be followed prior to sledding on the Gateway hill:
- It is recommended to wear a properly fitted CSA approved hockey helmet or snow sport helmet. While helmets are NOT mandatory for tobogganing at Gateway, the school and its administration staff are strongly recommending that students and community members wear proper safety equipment.
- During the regular school hours, only students will be able to use the hill. Community members are not permitted on school grounds between the instructional hours of 8AM to 3PM.
- The area where students are tobogganing will be assessed for inherent risks and students will only be permitted to sled in the areas of the hill that are free from trees, rocks and large bumps, divots or severe ice.
- A designated sledding area will be mapped out for students and these boundaries MUST BE adhered to at all times. Any student who breaks these rules will no longer be permitted to use school sleds or participate in tobogganing activities while at school
- Students CANNOT bring personal sleds, toboggans, saucers, inner tubes, GT snow racers or any other personal sledding equipment from home. Only school snow carpets will be allowed on the hill during school hours.
- Any snow carpets that are ripped or damaged pose a safety risk to students. Therefore, damaged carpets will be retired
On sledding days, students should come prepared with proper outdoor gear. Snow pants and sunscreen are highly recommended. Extra clothing (especially socks) to change into if their clothes get wet is also a good idea.
If you do not wish for your child to participate in sledding during school hours, please contact your child’s teacher.