SWAC (School Within a College) is a program open to all students within the Upper Grand District School Board. It provides students with a unique opportunity to attend the entire second semester of high school at the Guelph campus of Conestoga College.
- Eligible students should be a minimum of 17 years of age, and college capable, to be considered for this program. Special consideration may be given to students who do not meet these requirements.
- Students will be interviewed and 25 will be selected based on eligibility requirements and their application information.
- Students will be registered in a dual credit program where they will have the opportunity to earn two credits that will count on both high school and college transcripts. These courses are taught by college faculty and supported by the SWAC high school teacher.
- Students will have a choice of either the Mechanical Trades or Basic Kitchen Production programs offered through Conestoga College.
- This semester’s timetable will look like this:
- Dual Credit 1
- Dual Credit 2
- e-learning, ILC, credit recovery courses
- You will spend four days per week in a college classroom working on secondary curriculum and one day per week in a program specific college facility with Dual Credit instruction.
Note: You will be supported by a qualified English teacher to help with your English course
- Although the School Within a College participants follow the board’s school year calendar (holidays and breaks), they will be considered part-time college students and may be expected to attend college classes on PD days. College attendance policies will apply.
- This is a unique and special learning opportunity. Good attendance, participation, and fulfillment of class requirements is necessary in order to remain in the program. Transit tickets are provided to get students to Conestoga College.
SWAC Course Description
Please click the link below to access the SWAC Course Description and Teacher Information