Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Learning is deepened when situated in meaningful, real-world, authentic experiences to achieve one’s potential as a constructive and reflective citizen.
- Solve meaningful, real-life, complex problems by taking concrete steps to address issues and design and manage projects.
- Engage in an inquiry process to solve problems as well as acquire, process, interpret, synthesize and critically
analyze information to make informed decisions (e.g. critical and digital literacy)
- See patterns, make connections and transfer what they have learned from one situation to another, including real world applications.
- Construct, relate and apply knowledge to all domains of life such as school, home, work, friends and community.
- Analyze the functions and interconnections of social, economic and ecological systems.
- Evaluate the accuracy, perspective, credibility and relevance of information, media, data or other resources.
- Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems.
- Break problems into component parts, extract key information, and develop descriptive models to understand complex systems or facilitate problem-solving.
Critical thinking and problem solving involve addressing complex issues and problems by acquiring, processing, analyzing and interpreting
information to make informed judgements, decisions and actions.
[expand title=”Click Here for Examples in the UGDSB” swaptitle=”Close This Content” elwraptag=”div” elwrapclass=”bg-warning”]
Examples of Critical Thinking and Problem Solving in the UGDSB
- EITC (Elementary Inclusion Technology Coaches) & PD (Professional Development)
- TJRC (Terry James Resource Centre), Central Library—Makerspace kits & science kits provide inquiry prompts for both students and educators
- Learning Commons—Space is designed to give students a location to work, collaborate, problem solve and a space for e-learning etc.
- Design challenges
- Inquiry based approaches
- Media literacy supports this strand in terms of digital literacy
- Emphasis on outdoor learning
- Knowledge Building Forums e.g., Natural Curiosity
- Learning through problem solving in mathematics
- Transformational Teaching and Learning Strategies