At Island Lake Public School we believe that all students can succeed and this success is fostered through a strong home-school connection. Our motto:Safely Learning Together to be All We Can Be emphasizes the need for the whole community to work together; parents, teachers, students, support staff, administration and community members.
Our School Improvement Plan is focused on both Numeracy and Literacy. Our goals are as follows:
- Students and teachers share a common understanding of the learning goals and success criteria;
- During lessons, students receive ongoing, descriptive feedback based on the success criteria from the teacher and from peers;
- Instruction and assessment are differentiated in response to student strengths, needs and prior learning
In addition to these goals, we also have many structures and programs in place to support the achievement of these goals. These structures/programs include:
- “Character Counts” at Island Lake – our Character Ed assemblies, daily quotes and high expectations for student behavior
- “Me to We” – a program which will help our students become global citizens by raising their social consciousness
- EcoSchools – a program designed to help students develop both ecological literacy and environmental practices to become environmentally responsible citizens
- Stream of Dreams – a beautiful fish mural at the front of the school. This project ties in with our status as a Silver Award winning ‘Eco-school’ by increasing our understanding of how our actions affect our water systems.
We are excited about the upcoming year and the development of our new Outdoor Learning Space located behind our self-sustaining Environmental Learning Centre (the Ecopak) and our Community Garden. Island Lake is proud of our many connections to the community and to the environment.
If you ever have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at the school. Through clear communication, together we can achieve our goals.
Sean Singh, Principal
519-941-3292 x 223