EJPS Week at a Glance (Sep 26-30)

Posted September 22, 2022

Chers parents,

Thank you for another great week at EJ! We had excellent spirit and participation for the Terry Fox Walk today. Your children continue to demonstrate a love of learning and respect for all. Students are using the WITS (Walk away, Ignore, Talk about it, Seek help) strategy when conflicts occur. Please continue to encourage them to use their WITS when challenges with others arise. It was also a pleasure to meet and begin our work with the EJPS School Council this past Tuesday. Staff and students at EJPS are so grateful for all the School Council does. I can already see that teamwork makes the dream work! Speaking of teamwork, the student voice at EJPS is positive and strong. Our junior students are already getting involved in cross country running practice, lunch helping, kindergarten helping, Eco Team initiatives, and our new student leadership team, the Eagles Equity Alliance, will be meeting shortly to discuss student-led initiatives to build community and inclusion in our school. I look forward to celebrating more student achievements with you as the year progresses.

Below are a few information items and reminders.

• We are encouraging sustainable practices in our school as well as listening to our students. In the attached letter please see how our Eco Team is encouraging Boomerang Lunches and how you can help. EJ’s Boomerang Lunch And Snack Program

• Our next School Council meeting will be held in-person in the school library next Tuesday, October 18th at 6:30 PM.

• Open House/Meet the Teacher/Book Fair/ Fall Fair is on Thursday, Sept 29 from 5PM to 7PM. The following is a message from your School Council:  “Calling all bakers!  Looking for a fun way to help our school? The School Council is searching for some yummy treats to sell at our Family Fall Fair Fundraiser on Thursday, September 29th from 5-7pm.  Please consider baking or buying NUT-FREE individual treats to donate to our Bake Sale table. At our last event, Family Fun Night, our Bake Sale made over $900, we hope to reach that goal or higher! If you are interested in helping, please email [email protected]. Let us know what your item will be (e.g., cupcakes, brownies, etc.) and an estimated price that you think we could sell it for.  All items will need to be at the school on September 29th by 3:30pm.  All proceeds will go directly towards The New Playground Fund.  Thank you! ” Cheers, EJ School Council

• National Day for Truth & Reconciliation/Orange Shirt Day on Friday, Sept 30. We have ordered optional “Every Child Matters” buttons for every student and staff member as it can be difficult to find an orange shirt for this important day. I have surveyed teachers to describe their planned classroom activities for this day and encouraged them to inform parents of their planned activities.

• School Photo Day will be on Friday, October 21st. Individual headshots will be taken on this day in the Fall and whole class pictures will be taken at a date yet to be determined in the Spring.

• Booster Juice forms went home 2 weeks ago and started this past Wednesday. Late orders can be dropped off at your local Booster Juice, or submitted online at www.boostyourlunch.com . Subway will be on Tuesdays and start on Oct 11th and Pizza on Thursdays and start on Oct 13 th. The deadline to order is October 3rd through our School Cash Online. Subs are $6 per sub. Pizza is $2.25 per slice (this includes cheese/pepperoni/gluten free/dairy free with or without pepperoni). School Cash Online will be all set to accept orders on Monday, September 26th.  Bon appetit!

• The school website and calendar are undergoing some improvements. We appreciate your patience as we make those changes and undergo some learning and training. Both, Mme McLeod, our office coordinator filling in for Mme Buitendyk, and myself are new to EJPS and are continually getting access and learning the processes already in place. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thank you for another excellent week. Enjoy the wonderful warm weather this weekend!

** This and all past EJPS Week at a Glance emails are also posted on our school website here: https://www.ugdsb.ca/johnson/category/newsletter/

Olivier Cutz (Principal)

Categories: Newsletter