EJPS Week at a Glance (April 24-28)
EJPS Week at a Glance (April 24-28)
This morning we had a wonderful Earth Day assembly led by Mme Ammon’s Grade 5 class. It was very engaging, informative and creative. Mme Prilesnik’s Gr 1\2 class also sang a beautiful song to set the tone. We also had a teacher blues band entertain the students as the gym filled up. Well done everyone! Our whole school is looking forward to opening our doors for our STEM Fair Open House on May 3rd and sharing our learning around environmental sustainability. Also, we are happy to share that as a school community we raised $6,100.00 through our Dance-a-thon fundraiser. These funds will help support various needs throughout our school. Thank you EJ families for your support!
Here are a few important information messages to share with you:
This week our tips for supporting your child’s attendance at school focuses on ways to involve the school. See below for some strategies you could try.
- Know that there are supports in your child’s school. Connect with them as soon as an issue starts. Connecting earlier is better than when your child has missed a lot of school.
- If your child wants to leave school, try to have them connect with a caring adult in the school first to see if things can be worked out before your child goes home.
- Reach out to your school Principal and/or Guidance department for help if your child is not coming to school. Let’s talk! There is no judgement!
- A welcoming school approach has proven to be quite effective. Ensure your child is familiar with their school Principal, Vice-Principal and other caring adults in the building.
- Talk to the school team about anything you are hearing might be difficult for your child at school. School staff are always ready to help problem solve.
- Have a mental health plan created with your child and school staff and ensure there is a safe place to go in the school when your child may need some quiet time.
- If going into the classroom is hard – remember coming into the school building and meeting with a caring adult in a safe space is an important step in getting back to school.
For more information, please visit the UGDSB website: https://www.ugdsb.ca/parents/student-attendance-at-school-tips-and-strategies-for-families/
ONLINE PARENTING PROGRAM RESEARCH STUDY
Giving Parents Tools to Recognize and Grow their Child’s Strengths: Online Program offered by Dr. Margaret Lumley and her graduate students from UofG (approved by UGDSB Research Committee).
The Strengths to Grow research study aims to increase the well-being of students (via their caregivers/parents) so that they can succeed personally, socially, and academically.
Towards this end, we are inviting the parents/guardians of students in kindergarten to Grade 8 to access the online parenting program and to complete two brief online surveys.
ECO CLUB & EJ SCHOOL COUNCIL CLOTHING SWAP
Collection is next week: Monday, April 24th to Friday, April 28th.
Send your child/children to school with 2 CLEAN t-shirts they do not wear anymore to donate.
On Wednesday, May 3rd at the STEM Fair you will find the Clothing Swap in the Kindy Hall. Students can choose 1 t-shirt to take home free!
Students that cannot attend the STEM Fair will find left over t-shirts to choose from across from the Library the day after the fair.
After that all donations will be donated to Hope House.
Below are a few important dates:
- April 24-27 > Clothing Swap Collection Week
- April 25 > Grade 6 Camp Information Night @ 6pm in the Library
- April 26 > Administrative Professionals Day recognizing OCs and AOA’s like Mme McCleod
- May 1 – 5 > Education Week
- May 3 > STEM FAIR/EDUCATION WEEK/BOOK FAIR/OPEN HOUSE 5:30-7PM
- May 15 > Bicycle Safety Presentation Gr 3,4,5
- May 16 > Gr 5 Mountsberg Trip
- May 16 > School Council Meeting
- May 19 > Jump Rope for Heart
- May 22 > Statutory Holiday
- May 26 > DSD Club mini-Play “Bottom of the Sea”
- May 30, 31, June 1 > Gr 6 EQAO
- June 1st Kindergarten field trip to Mountsberg
- June 2 > PD Day & JK Orientation (for new JKs next year)
- June 6,7,8 > Gr 3 EQAO (updated!)
- June 9 > Groundwater Festival Gr 2-5
- June 15 & 16 > Gr 6 Camp
- June 22 > Gr 6 Graduation
- June 29 > Last day of school
- June 30 > PA Day
We wish our Muslim families a joyous Eid-Ul-Fitr and our Baha’i community members a blessed Ridvan. Also, let’s all do our part to protect our environment not just on Earth Day this weekend but also everyday we are fortunate to live on our beautiful planet..
Enjoy your weekend,
Olivier Cutz (Principal)
** This and all past EJPS Week at a Glance emails are also posted on our school website here: https://www.ugdsb.ca/johnson/category/newsletter/