The Norwell Story
The Norwell High School Crest and Motte were created to reflect and honour the schools community roots.
From 1940 until 1952 the original part of this building was home to the Palmerston High School. In 1952, the High School in Clifford closed and the closure of Harriston High School followed soon after. This school was renamed “Norwell” – short for “North Wellington”.
The Norwell School Moto, “Qui se vincit fortiter stat – He who conquers himself stands strong” is a melding of Harriston and Palmerston Mottos.
The Norwell School Crest embodies a similar ancestry. The extended wings that symbolize an eagle’s proud soaring flight comes from the Palmerston High School Crest. The rowers or “argonauts” who symbolize a journey of exploration and teamwork come from the Harriston High School Crest. The lamp of learning and three maple leaves in the crest symbolize both a love of learning, and of country.
The large sculpted cement school emblem from high up on the front of the old Harriston High School still stands today in the Norwell courtyard and the Harriston Honour Roll of the Fallen from World Wards has a place of respect in the Norwell Library.
The Harriston High School colours were red, black, and white, Cliffords were blue and white, while the Palmerston High School colours were maroon and white. To honour the Harriston roots, the Norwell school colours became red, white, and black, with emphasis on the red as the athletic teams were named the Norwell Redmen.
In 1952 the enrollment of the new Norwell High School was 325 students and the price of a weeks worth of meals in the cafeteria was $1.25.
Since 1952, Norwell students have distinguished themselves in acedemics, in athletics, in the arts, in the trades and agriculture, and as successful members if the communities that Norwell still serves.