Welcome to ODSS!
Orangeville District Secondary School
Home of NGWEDWE, our friendly bear mascot
Call the school at 519-941-0491, ext. 221 to set up a virtual appointment or have any questions answered
You are also welcome to e-mail the school at [email protected] – we will forward your inquiry to the appropriate person.
While it’s difficult this year to provide you with a tour of the school, we have some videos which may help you become more familiar with us. Please view them when you have a few minutes! Thanks to our Leadership class for their help with putting them together. If conditions allow, we will arrange for orientation and visits to the school to learn about the different areas of study from academics and sports to music and art. Learn why ODSS is the best school around. Go Bears!
Scroll down to find out more about our Virtual Parent Info night, find links to forms and documents (including course selection), and get some answers to Frequently Asked Questions!
Videos to Introduce you to ODSS:
(We recommend you use Google Chrome as your browser when watching the videos)
While many of these videos focus on the Grade 9 program, if you are joining us from another school in Grade 10, 11 or 12 we are happy to have you join us as well! Hopefully these videos will help introduce you to the school and you can see some of the great things that happen here every day!
- NGWEDWE welcomes our new Bears!
- Meet some of the ODSS teachers
- An Introduction to Business at ODSS
- An Introduction to Fine Arts at ODSS (There are 3 Grade 9 Art Courses: Drama, Instrumental Music, Visual Arts)
- Grade 9 Tech Rotation (includes Cooking, Welding, Contruction & Design) Grade 8 Night Tech Presentation Slides
- Welcome to Grade 9 English – from Susie Chamberlain, English Department Head
- Introduction to Grade 9 Math – from Kevin Downe, Math Department Head
- Information & Introduction to Grade 9 French
- Grade 9 Phys Ed – Let’s see what’s going on in the gym!
- An Overview of Grade 9 Geography
- The Leadership Class gives a tour of ODSS
- Tech Department Website
- Tour – A look at of our welding shop, industrial bakery, art room and drama room
- Tour – Where to find food at ODSS
- Tour – Sports at ODSS
- Making the Jump from Grade 8 to Grade 9
Virtual Information for Grade 8 Parents/Guardians:
- Even though we can’t get together in person, we would like to take this opportunity to tell you about our programs and help you make your course selection choices. We are available to:
- helping you determine the best stream (academic, applied, locally developed) for you,
- telling you more about the Grade 9 elective courses (Art-Visual Art, Art-Drama, Art-Instrumental Music, Business, and Tech Welding-Design-Cooking-Construction Rotation). You will choose 2 of these courses (there are 5 to choose from).
- providing lots of general information about high school.
- Contact our Guidance Department or any of our Department Heads, using the contact info below, and we will be happy to answer your questions. You can also contact our Vice-Principals or Principals with general questions.
How to see the introductory Grade 8 Information/Presentation –
- View the slides and hear the general Grade 8 Parent Night presentation from Kaley Kowaluk-Mainland here (we recommend you use Google Chrome as your browser when watching videos)
- Grade 8 Night Presentation 2021 – .pdf version of introductory presentation slides
- Grade 8 Tech Presentation Slides – Class Rotation
Meet our Student Support Services/Guidance Staff
Kaley Kowaluk-Mainland, Head of Guidance
Carm Bradbury, Guidance Counsellor
Forms & Paperwork
If you are currently attending an UGDSB school, i.e. Princess Elizabeth, Princess Margaret, Mono Amaranth, Island Lake, Credit Meadows, etc. you can choose your courses using myBlueprint – Sign into your ugcloud.ca account and look for the myBlueprint box. We will be able to obtain your information electronically from your school.
If you do not currently attend a UGDSB school, i.e. St. Andrews, St. Benedicts, St. Peter’s, Caledon Central, Orangeville Christian School, etc., please complete the Student Registration Form and the on-line course selection form (this is where you choose your Grade 9 courses – we will be able to see the form after you submit it and we will match it with your registration papers that you submit to us).
We will also require copies of these documents along with your on-line course selection sheet:
- Student Registration Form
- Birth certificate or passport (copy may be provided to us electronically but we may need to see the original in the future)
- Copy of your proof of residence – tax or utility bill or rental agreement that confirms your address
- Copy of IEP if you have one.
- Please also complete a Plan of Care form if you have any life threatening Illnesses or Allergies
You can complete/collect the above documents and e-mail them to [email protected] or drop them on the table inside the front doors of O.D.S.S. on school days between 9:30 a.m. & 2:30 p.m. Unfortunately there is currently no access to the school – you will not be allowed past the front doors and you cannot remain at the school for any period of time.
Keeping in Touch with the School
You are always welcome to contact the school by phone at 519-941-0491 or email us at [email protected] if you have questions or concerns.
We also recommend that you:
- check our website regularly – www.ugdsb.ca/odss
- follow ODSS Announcements on twitter.com – @ODSS_News
- sign up to receive e-mails from the school
Questions & Help:
Registration/Course Selection Help: ODSS Guidance/Student Support Office – 519-941-0491, ext. 221 or [email protected]
General Inquiries: [email protected]
Contacts for specific questions:
- For Course Selection/Guidance questions email [email protected]
- For I.E.P. and Spec Ed assistance email [email protected]
- To Contact admin: Principal, [email protected] Vice-Principals [email protected] and [email protected]
- Department Heads:
Business – Randal Mainland [email protected]
Canada World Studies (Geography)– Paul Nelson [email protected]
English – Susie Chamberlain [email protected]
Fine Arts – Michelle Grierson [email protected]
Guidance – Kaley Kowaluk – [email protected]
Healthy Active Living– Wayne Feeney – [email protected]
Languages (French) – Crystal Voisin – [email protected]
Mathematics – Kevin Downe- [email protected]
Special Education (students with IEP’s)- Jill Milrose – [email protected]
Student Success – Greg Hill – [email protected]
Technology – Richard Alexander – [email protected]
Science – Jen Coleman – [email protected]
Click the link below to see some Frequently Asked Questions!