Typical Cost of an Apprenticeship
Although almost 90% of an apprenticeship is on-the-job training, where apprentices are being paid, there are some costs to the overall program.
|Registration with College of Trades||$60/year (free for OYAP students until they graduate)|
|Trade School Registration||$400 per 8 week course, $600 per 10 week course (usually 2-3 courses per apprenticeship)|
|Write Certificate of Qualification||$150|
Please note that many trades require that apprentices purchase their own tools, in addition to the above costs.
Apprenticeship is one of the only post-secondary educational pathways that has numerous financial incentives attached to it. This is likely a result of the demand for skilled trades people in Ontario and across Canada. Apprentices can actually finish their training, with money in their pocket because they have been paid for all of their on-the-job training (OYAP time likely excluded), and may also be eligible for some of the financial incentives listed below.
Financial Incentives for Apprentices:
- Employment Insurance (EI) for apprentices – Apprentices are eligible to collect Employment Insurance (EI) for the time they are at trade school (except for first 2 weeks of their first course).
- Travel allowance for apprentices – Apprentices are eligible for up to $125 per week travel allowance to get to trade school.
- Loans for Tools program – Apprentices can apply for an interest free loan to purchase tools and equipment, which is payable 1 year after completion of apprenticeship.
- Apprecticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) – Apprentices are eligible for a $1000 grant after completing each of Levels 1 and 2 of any Red Seal trade apprenticeship program.
- Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG) – Registered apprentices who successfully complete their apprenticeship training and obtain their journeyperson certification in a Red Seal trade are eligible for a $2000 completion grant.
- Apprenticeship Completion Bonus in Non Red-Seal Trades – Registered apprentices who successfully complete their apprenticeship training obtain their Certificate of Apprenticeship (or Certification of Qualification if available) in a non Red Seal trade are eligible for a $2000 completion grant.