Getting to School
There is a Crossing Guard at the corners of Main and Queen Streets and at the corner of Prospect and Toronto Streets and is on duty from:
8:15 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
3:15 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
There is also a Crossing Guard at the school on duty from:
8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. at the crossing walk near the Daycare **School supervision starts at 8:35am
3:15 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the crossing walk near the Daycare
Bicycles at School
Bicycle racks are located beside the main playground entrance to the school. All students are obligated by law to wear bicycle helmets. Students are encouraged to lock their bikes when leaving them at school.
Bicycles are not to be ridden on school property.
Students are asked to walk their bikes across Prospect Street near the bicycle racks. Students should continue to walk their bikes until they are past the parking lot.
Please stress safety and the need to stay away from potential hazards.
Parking at our School
Parking at PPS is a challenge. The school parking lots are small, which means we do not have parking available for parents in our lots. However, we wanted to make you aware of some parking options available to you if you are picking up or dropping off your child.
- For accessible parking, we do have a reserved spot in our main parking lot. Please display your Accessible Parking Permit while using that spot.
- Directly across the street from the school has a limited number of street parking spots available. Please make sure you are not blocking or parking in any of the private driveways. Please cross the street with our Crossing Guard by the Daycare. Please remind your children NOT to cross the street in front of the school near parked cars and buses. The only safe spot to cross in front of the school is at the crosswalk.
- We have a contract with the Palmerston Evangelical Missionary Church at the corner of Prospect Street and Toronto Street to use their parking lot (550 Prospect St, Palmerston, ON N0G 2P0). Please feel free to park there and walk over to the school. There is often ample parking available there. It is our safest and most reliable parking option.
Please do not stop in our Bus Loading zone. Please do not stop in our Emergency Vehicle route at the back of our parking lot.
Please do not use any of the Daycare parking spots for any reason. They are there only for the Daycare and we have a number of families using our sidewalks at that time near the Daycare entrance and exits.
If you have any questions about Parking, please direct them to the office.
Thank you for your help in keeping traffic moving and everyone safe!
Riding the Bus
All bus inquiries can be directed to Student Transportation. Sign up for notifications for when your child’s bus is late here.
Students are not allowed to ride buses or be allowed off buses at “stops” other than their own. Students who are not regular bus students are not allowed to ride the bus to or from school. If students are not going to be riding the bus home at the end of the day, but did ride the bus in the morning, please send a note or call to the school to allow us to inform the bus driver.
Your support, co-operation and recognition of our bus drivers, helps ensure your child’s safety. Every student is responsible to the Principal for their conduct. Respect for property, courtesy, safety and appropriate language are all expected while riding the buses. General Rules of Conduct are outlined.
- Follow the directions of your driver.
- Be at your bus stop 5 minutes before your pick-up time.
- Stay seated while the bus is in motion.
- No smoking, eating, chewing gum or swearing.
- Keep books, lunch boxes, and other bulky items on your lap.
- Students are responsible for any deliberate damage done to the bus.
- Whenever possible, leave the last row of seats vacant.
- Personal electronic devices to may be used with earphones.
Speakers are not permitted on the bus.
Consequences will result if students fail to co-operate. Consequences range from a warning to losing bus privileges.
Bus Safety Patrollers
A group of students have been chosen to be bus safety patrols. The patrols will assist pupils boarding buses and report misconduct to the driver. Please stress to your children the importance of lining up properly and co-operating with the patrols. In this way, we hope to maintain good bus behaviour and have a safe school.