Student Walkout (April 4th)

Posted April 3, 2019

Dear parents/ guardians,

It has come to our attention that some students in the Upper Grand District School Board are planning to participate in a province-wide student walkout on Thursday, April 4, 2019, protesting the provincial government’s recent changes to education.

Information and messages are being circulated on various online platforms. In addition there is potentially another student walkout planned for May 2019, protesting climate change. Please note that these planned student walkouts are not board/school sanctioned events.

The Upper Grand DSB strongly supports student voice. This includes students expressing their viewpoint in a peaceful manner that does not include the destruction of property, the exposure of students and others to risks involving health and safety, and does not hinder the operation of our schools. We recognize that some Upper Grand students may choose to participate in the province-wide walkouts. Our school administrators will follow age-appropriate procedures to monitor the situation and safety of our students, while respecting their desire to express their opinion.

Please note that elementary students are not permitted to leave school property without permission, for safety reasons. School staff will follow our regular attendance procedures.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call the school.

Sincerely,

Olivier Cutz

(Principal)

Categories: News