September Minutes for School Council Meeting
Meeting Minutes – September 22, 2020
Start time: 6:35pm – End time: 7:30pm
Virtually attended by:
Natasha Skerritt, Jane Ridd, Ashley Watson, Andrea Catteau, Johanna Hilditch, Vicki Scott-Reid, Clayton Boucher, Erika O’Krafka
No prior minutes to review from last year.
- Re-Elected Ashley Watson/Jane Ridd as 2020-2021 Co-Chairs
- Elected Vicki Scott-Reid as 2020-2021 Treasurer
- Elected Johanna Hilditch as 2020-2021 Secretary
- Jane to reach out to Alyson Dubler re: yearbook.
- Great start to the year. Our planning and staggered entry has really helped us to start the year with success.
- For those of you that I don’t know well I look forward to getting to know you more. I love being the principal here at Salem and consider myself very lucky to work with an amazing staff, awesome students, and a fantastic parent community.
- Our first days of school – went very smoothly, students quickly learned the routines of meeting at their meeting trees and are working really hard to remember to give space, wear their masks and play within their own cohort.
- We are so blessed to have to be able for each class to have a large area to play in and that we can be outside as much as we are. It is also great that the weather has been staying so nice.
- We had our first whole school assembly yesterday. We used Google Meet. Each class joined from their own classroom. They were all able to give a wave or say Hi to the whole school. I then read a story to the whole school. This year’s character education book is called “Say Something”. One of the messages shared through this book is about how we can use our voices to change the world.
- We have lots of new staff here at Salem this year and everyone seems to be settling in really well. Ms. Kiedrowski, Mrs. Wheeler, Ms. Pogson, Mr. Britton and Ms. Snyder have all joined our team.
- We have about 230 students in the building this year and about 20 students learning remotely.
- The School Website and UG Connect are great ways to stay connected. If you haven’t downloaded the app please do so. Updates and information is posted on our website as it comes available. We are also using twitter, facebook and email as ways to communicate.
- Open House will be happening virtually this year. A date is coming soon. More information will be coming home shortly about this.
- There are lots of amazing things happening at Salem.
- The staff have asked me to pass along a great big thank you to all of you for the start up funds. It is much appreciated.
- COVID information is available on our school website. Please take note of the symptomatic student information sheet
Picture Day – could photos be outdoor this year? – This will be looked into.
Pizza/Milk orders – at this time we cannot accommodate with COVID limitations. Information will be shared with families when this does become an option.
Drop-off/Pick-up – things have been going well. Increased number of walkers this year, unsure if those numbers will decrease as time goes on/comfort levels of families. Discussed option of OPP or crossing guard for traffic aid/family safety.
Fundraising – Discussed the changes of where we would like to allot funds. Discussed future goals; playground fund/Chromebook fund. Using charitable donations to The Learning Foundation – Salem P.S.
There will be no Halloween Social this year.
Next meeting November 24, 2020.
Categories: School Council News