The Upper Grand District School Board is once again offering an extensive selection of courses this summer for students. There are several summer school program options:
- Full credit (4 weeks)
- Co-op Program
- Dual Credit
- Literacy and/or numeracy support for grade 7 & 8 students
* Please note: students may only register for one summer school program and we do not offer “reach-ahead” credits for students currently finishing grade 8.
Summer School 2017 will run from Wednesday, July 5 to Tuesday, August 1, 2017 – all classes will be 4 weeks (20 days) in length.
Classes run from 8:30 am to 2:00 pm daily. Secondary classes will be offered at Bishop Macdonell Catholic High School, 200 Clair Rd. W., Guelph.
Please note that classes will only run with sufficient enrolment. Students will only be contacted if classes are not running.
Our regular registration deadline has now passed. Please call the Summer School Office for any inquiries 519-822-1426.
Summer Co-op programs integrate classroom theory, some online work and practical experience in the workplace. All students can benefit from a co-op experience regardless of the post-secondary destination of choice. Students earn two high school credits by participating in this program. This program is intended for Upper Grand or Wellington Catholic students, at least 14 years of age, who have completed the grade 10 Careers course or a course linked to desired area of work. Please find more information on our
- Deadline to register for this summer’s program has now passed – if you are still interested, please contact our office.
- Record CODE (provided after successfully completing online form) on the paper application form
- Get two teacher reference forms completed and submit to guidance
- Find at least 2 possible placement choices and gather contact information for application – students outside the City of Guelph must discuss with semester 2 co-op teacher – contact info will be needed for the online application form
- Sign and have parent/guardian sign the paper application form
- Submit complete package to guidance at their home school
- Students must be prepared to attend a pre-course information and interview night, April 12, 2017 from 7:30 – 9 pm at Cont. Education for Guelph & surrounding area, and at 6 pm – 7:30 pm at Centre Wellington D.H.S. for Wellington and Dufferin County students. Further, students must be able to attend Wednesday evening pre-placement classes from April 26 to June 14 from 6 pm – 9 pm.
Dual Credit – Conestoga College
Dual Credits are college courses that count on both your secondary school diploma as well as a college program. This summer, in partnership with Conestoga College, we will be offering three courses at the Waterloo Campus of Conestoga College:
- Masonry Preparation
- Exploring Interior Finishing Systems – Drywall
- Professional Make up Application
Courses will start July 3 and end July 13, and run from 9 am until 3:00 pm (no class on July 7). For more information on the course offerings, please see this information flyer. There will be a limited number of spots in each of the courses (on a first come, first registered basis), and they are only open to students 16 years of age or older from Upper Grand DSB or Wellington Catholic DSB. Transportation will be provided for accepted students from locations across the Boards. To register, complete the following form and bring it to Guidance at your home school, to be forwarded to Continuing Education.
Literacy/Numeracy – Grade 7 & 8 Program
Students who are achieving below the Provincial Standard (level 2 or below) in English and/or mathematics, can be recommended by their Principal to participate in one of our summer programs. Please speak to the Principal at your school for a registration form. For more details, please take a look at the brochure:
Wellington Centre for Continuing Education
1428 Gordon St. S.
Ph: (519) 836-7280
Fax: (519) 837-0244
Dufferin Centre for Continuing Education
40 Amelia St.
Ph: (519) 941-2661
Fax: (519) 942-2353