October 2019 School Council Minutes
TEPS School Council Meeting Minutes
From – October 10, 2019
Voting Members in Attendance for meeting
|Akter, Majida||Nasswetter, Katie||X|
|Dales, Rachel||X||Sinclair, Susan||X|
|Hammond, Jackie||X||Turnbull, Caroline||X|
|Hocken, Jodi||Vella, Kelly||X|
|Hutchinson, Melynda||X||Werner, Carly|
Other Attendees: Ken Keesmaat, Alan Gouk, Sarah McCaig, Amy Madan, Ruth VanLoon, Nidhi Thakur
Other Regrets: Andrea Burke, Andrea Galda, Sylvia Gerharel, Scott Grasley, Jenn Holland, Alan King, Rami Kridli, Jeff MacDonald, Sandy Mansfield, Richard Martin, Sandra Martin, Cathy Moynihan, Melanie Stevens,
|AGENDA ITEM||INFORMATION/DECISION||PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE|
|Review & Approval of Minutes||● September 2019 minutes approved
|Council topics||· There is still space to be a voting member. Criteria is attendance at most meetings, missing a maximum of 2.
Action Item: If anyone else would like to be a voting member, please contact Katie to be added to the list
|School Report||School Updates
· Great moments in learning – twitter updates daily
· Council Members request for more updates – i.e. picture day, school calendar not syncing (Ken to fix)
· Bullying Prevention Plan in place – student survey for grades 4-8 in Spring, plan updated annually, posted online by Sept 30th, Ken is looking for volunteers to be on the committee and review/update the plan.
· EQAO – Results in and positive, generally consistent averages or trending higher; staff use data to determine plans
· Melynda presented annual fundraising proceeds, together with teacher’s classroom allowance use in 2018
· Update on last year’s spending: $1000 music fund was actually used last year to buy ukuleles, so the fund needs to be adjusted. Maintenance should be funded for the future for guitars and ukuleles. Suggested $400 a year for maintenance is approved.
· We don’t manage the $500 parent council fund from the school board. We could use it to fund tea and tears.
Action Item: Next meeting decide what to do with remaining $600 for music and discuss future fundraising options
|Fundraising Update||· Approximately $7000 has come in cash so far, students have until October 15th.
· More students than last year chose not to sell chocolate bars, instead of having parents sign the form, they just dropped them off at the office.
· Approximately $1000 in donations, some confusion with how the donation vs chocolate bar sales works
· Note from Treasurer: When counting money, using counting sheets/expense sheets located in the blue folder and sign the paperwork so deposits are more accurate and Melynda knows who to contact if there’s a discrepancy
· Should consider whether to run next year, or find a replacement fundraiser
· Idea for future: Zehrs, Indigo have school fundraisers to look into, also Value Village does a clothing drive for fundraising
|Other Business||Other Topics
· Council could help organize the first day of school; or potentially advocate for a pilot project. If we’re interested, we could draft a letter regarding our proposal for Ken to send to the Superintendent
|Next Meeting||Wednesday, November 13th @ 7:00 pm|
School Council Executive 2019-2020:
- Chair – Jackie Hammond
- Treasurer – Melynda Hutchinson
- Secretary – Katie Nasswetter
- Fundraiser Coordinator – Kelly Vella
Categories: School Council