News & Announcements
Important information regarding reopening schools, COVID-19 and more
Please click the links below for information on reopening schools in fall 2020, COVID-19 and supports for students and families:
Pick-Up of Student Belongings, June 4, 2020
CENTRAL PUBLIC SCHOOL
ITEM PICKUP INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
JUNE 4, 2020. Come at your assigned time–see the chart below.
We have been given permission to allow parents/guardians into the school to pick up their child(ren)’s belongings. Normally, this would be a straightforward process; however, special measures have been put in place to help keep our community safe. This plan was developed with consideration of board requirements and public health recommendations.
On the pickup date, please also return any school books that you have at home. A bin will be provided for this purpose.
Pickup Date: Thursday, June 4, 2020
Pickup Times – Please arrive at the time listed under your child’s last name initial.
|LAST NAME OF CHILD|
|Surnames beginning with||A/B/C||D/E/F/G||H/I||J/K||L/M/N|
|TIME||9:00 AM||9:30 AM||10:00 AM||10:30 AM||11:00 AM|
|LAST NAME OF CHILD|
|Surnames beginning with||O/P/Q/R||S/T/U/V||W/X/Y/Z|
|TIME||12:00 PM||12:30 PM||1:00 PM|
NOTE: You will likely wait in line for a period of time before entering the school as we will be following proper social distancing practices.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE HAND
- You will be provided with plastic bags for your child’s belongings. Please DO NOT bring bags into the school
- You must complete the online self-assessment tool: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
- There will be no outdoor supervision and the playground will be closed
- There will be no access to classrooms or washrooms during the pickup process
- We strongly encourage 1 adult ONLY to come and pick up.
- When collecting items you will be directed to move quickly through the gym
BEFORE ENTERING THE SCHOOL MAKE SURE
- You have NO symptoms (fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat or shortness of breath)
- Have NOT travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days
- Have NOT been in close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19
UPON ENTERING THE SCHOOL
- Please use the hand sanitizer provided
- You are encouraged to wear a mask as per Public Health recommendations, but one will not be provided for you
- Please remember to practise social distancing and keep 2 metres apart from others.
- Please follow the instructions of staff present.
- Arrive at the school at your assigned time (you will likely need to wait in line for a period of time).
- You will be entering from the playground, at the back door farthest from the parking lot and nearest to the gym. The entrance will be marked so it is obvious and staff will be on hand to support. Line up in the playground at the indicated spots, which will ensure that you keep 2 metres from the person in front of you
- Most student items will be labelled in bags in the gym. Items with unknown owners will be on tables located outside, under the overhang, divided by classroom. While waiting in line, and using social distancing rules, please look at these items for each of your children’s classrooms, touch and remove only what belongs to you.
- Enter the school when invited
- Use the hand sanitizer upon entering and exiting
- You will be directed to the location of your child(ren)’s belongings
- Once you have picked up all belongings, you will exit directly from the gym, following staff directions
I have children at the school with different last names – when do I come?
Come during the time allotted for the last name of your youngest child and pick up belongings for all of your children.
A parent/guardian cannot come on the date/time scheduled. Can we send someone else to pick our child’s belongings up for us? YES – please inform your class teacher, via Google Classroom, the name of the person picking up for you by June 3, 2020. If this is not possible, please provide the individual picking up with a note indicating your child’s name and your name and that you give them permission to collect your belongings.
Can our child pick up their own belongings?
No. ONE adult must come.
My child has library books to return. Can I bring them?
Yes. There will be a bin in which library books can be placed.
What about my child’s medications that are stored at the office?
Medications will be placed in the bag with your child’s belongings.
What will happen with unclaimed items?
Any unclaimed items will be bagged and stored until schools re-open.
A Message from Staff
A letter from the UGDSB Director of Education, Martha Rogers, on the reopening of schools in September.
The school board has released a Parent Guide with information about the reopening of schools in September, and a Pre-Registration Survey for all UGDSB families. All students must pre-register for school by the August 14, 2020, deadline.
The Minister of Education, Stephen Lecce, has written a letter to all Ontario parents/guardians regarding the province’s announcement on the reopening of schools in September.
During the June 23 Board Meeting, the Board of Trustees created a motion to create a Police Presence in Schools Task Force. As part of this task force, the UGDSB is seeking applications from community members and/or individuals.
The Upper Grand District School Board is asking all parents/guardians (K-12) and students in grades 7-12 to complete a survey regarding the fall restart of school.
A letter to UGDSB parents/guardians and students as the 2019-2020 school year comes to a close.
The Upper Grand District School Board is welcoming public input on draft Policy 303 – Naming of Schools and Board Facilities.
Please note that CCAT screening for grade 3 students in the fall of 2020 will be postponed until 2021.
In the June 2020 edition of Talking About Mental Health, we discuss tolerating uncertainty, supporting anxious kids, self care and compassion, and community connections.