EJPS Week at a Glance (Oct 30-Nov 3)
EJPS Week at a Glance (Oct 30-Nov 3)
We had a very fun day on Oct 31st this week. Many students enjoyed dressing up in Halloween costumes, wearing black and orange, or just taking in and seeing many classmates and staff members participate in creative dress up. I also know many parents enjoyed Halloween as well either as trick or treat chaperones or as costume participants. I even saw Hulk Hogan drop off a student on Tuesday morning! Moving forward, as Halloween treats start to get consumed, please monitor and manage how many sugar filled treats are coming to school as eating too many sweets throughout the day can negatively impact students’ learning, well-being, and sleep patterns.
In other news, the month of November is here and we have many exciting things planned. Just to mention a few….on Monday, our Junior soccer teams will participate in a tournament. Thank you to Mme Ross, and parent coaches Mr. Vuk and Mr. Bernal for helping prepare our teams to do their best. Also, students in Mme Robert’s class will lead the Remembrance Day service which will include a performance by our Junior Choir on November 10th. Parents and family are welcome to take a seat at the back of the gym and observe the service. The gymnasium will be open at 11:10 AM and the service will start at around 11:30 AM. Please sign in at the office before going to the gym. Mme Anselmini-Lofton’s class will lead our Anti-Bullying Week assembly in the later part of the month and this year’s Progress Reports will be available online on Nov 16th. It’s great to see our students getting involved and being leaders in many areas of school life.
Below are some important information items and updates:
- November 6 >Junior Soccer Tournament
- November 6 -11 > Treaty Recognition Week
- November 10 > WHY Survey Refusal form due for students in Grades 4-6 WHY SURVEY 2023 INFORMATION & REFUSAL FORM Gr 4 6
- November 10 > Remembrance Day service
- November 10 > Police Presentations for FDK, Gr 1, Gr 4, Gr 5 (information letters to be sent home with students on Nov 6)
- Nov 13-24 > WHY survey administration window (letters sent home on Nov 1st)
- November 16 > Progress Reports will be available
- November 20-24 > Bullying Awareness & Prevention Week
- Nov 21 > Picture Retake Day
- Nov 23 > Parent-Teacher Interview Night (details TBD)
- November 24 > PA Day (parent-teacher conferences, more information to come)
- November 30 > Gr 1s and 2s to the River Run for a presentation (Linamar for the Performing Arts series)
Lastly, the month of November has many special days worth noting. Please take a look at the calendar below to appreciate the many days of significance observed by the diverse identity, cultural and religious groups in our community. Our teaching staff is always open to collaborating with EJPS parents who are willing to visit the classroom and share in their own voices their first-hand knowledge and appreciation for some of the cultures outside of the dominant majority. If you are interested in contributing to widening our recognition of cultural diversity, please contact me directly at [email protected] so I can help coordinate learning opportunities for our staff and students.
|Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism
|Martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji
|Birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji
We are getting quite a collection of lost and found winter clothes…come by the school to check for any missing items. Also, please know that my door is always open should you have any feedback, questions, or concerns. Have a great weekend and don’t forget to turn back your clocks this Sunday!
** This and all past EJPS Week at a Glance emails are also posted on our school website here: https://www.ugdsb.ca/johnson/category/newsletter/