Are You Currently in Grade 9?
Apply for Grade 10 CELP for semester 1 or 2 of the 2024/ 2025 school year by option selection deadline for your home school (usually around the second week of February at most schools).
1. Click on CELP Application and complete and submit the google form in one sitting (answers will not save). Reviewing the program description will help your application.
2. Forward the url for the CELP teacher reference form to TWO of your grade 9 teachers and ask them to submit it for you.
3. Check with your guidance department as to how to select CELP for the next year (it varies at each school) and to select your other courses. We will be requesting transcripts directly from guidance (you do not need to do this).
4. Wait to hear from us in early April for whether you got into the program.
There is usually a less than $500 fee associated with the CELP Program. This may change based on school guidelines. We want the program to be accessible to all students and we often have students who are not able to pay the fee for various reasons. We really encourage everyone to apply and we will gladly figure out partial fees or waive fees if money is a barrier for you to participate!
Application Philosophy and Process
We believe that the most successful CELP class is a mix of different kinds of students. It should be a reflection of the diversity in our community. We do, however, need students to have the following characteristics:
- Punctuality and Handing in items complete and on time:
We are looking for students who demonstrate these skills and feel they are important in CELP Programs.
- Responsibility and Commitment
As CELP Programs have many moments where students are placed in positions of responsibility, we feel that the application process will demonstrate this.
- Academic Commitment
As CELP takes place in an off-campus setting and students are involved in many projects, students are expected to keep organized and up-to-date on all assignments for CELP courses.
How does the selection process work?
All applicants who have met the deadline will be considered. Students who did not completed the entire package will be eliminated. The selection process will occur in the following order:
- Applications will be read by teachers in the CELP program and will be evaluated by a rubric. Students will be assigned a level factored into an overall ranking.
- Teacher reference forms for the top applicants will be scored with a number based on the questions being asked. We will also consider any concerns or outstanding reasons why a teacher may or may not recommend a student at this time.
- Transcripts will be reviewed to ensure that students have prerequisites for credits and that they have kept up with courses.
- The CELP teachers will then arrive at a final group of students for CELP with a waiting list of 4 students. Additional sections may be added dependent on numbers. Acceptance emails will be sent out to successful candidates in late March/ early April. Mandatory student/parent meetings will be held where an initial deposit will be collected. Students on the waiting list and students who have not been accepted will be notified by email.