News & Announcements
Daily School Absence Report
The UGDSB is reporting daily on school absence rates, allowing us to monitor absenteeism rates and transparently share this information with the public. To view the dashboard, click here.
GRADE NINE WELCOME DAY
Will you be entering grade nine this September? Want to meet staff, get a tour of the school and gain valuable information about high school? If so, please join us on Tuesday June 27th from 9:30am-12:15pm in the EC Gray Gym. LEAP Crew leaders are excited to meet you and welcome you to high school. (Please note: Students currently attending Palmerston Public, Drayton Heights and Minto Clifford, are already registered to attend with your grade eight class). If you are currently attending a different school and plan on attending the grade nine welcome day please simply complete the form below: Gr 9 Welcome Day!
ATTENDANCE SUPPORT :
Here are tips for supporting your child’s attendance at school that focuses on ways to involve the school. See below for some strategies you could try.
- Know that there are supports in your child’s school. Connect with them as soon as an issue starts. Connecting earlier is better than when your child has missed a lot of school.
- If your child wants to leave school, try to have them connect with a caring adult in the school first to see if things can be worked out before your child goes home.
- Reach out to your school Principal and/or Guidance department for help if your child is not coming to school. Let’s talk! There is no judgement.
- A welcoming school approach has proven to be quite effective. Ensure your child is familiar with their school Principal, Vice-Principal and other caring adults in the building.
- Talk to the school team about anything you are hearing might be difficult for your child at school. School staff are always ready to help problem solve.
- Have a mental health plan created with your child and school staff and ensure there is a safe place to go in the school when your child may need some quiet time.
- If going into the classroom is hard – remember coming into the school building and meeting with a caring adult in a safe space is an important step in getting back to school.
Here some things to do if all the strategies you’ve tried so far to encourage regular attendance at school with your child haven’t worked.
- Be consistent! Don’t give up. And know that there are supports for parents if you need them. “Put on your own oxygen mask, before others.”
- There are resources available within schools and community supports if there are other barriers to attendance such as having enough food for lunches.
- Here’s a great resources with existing handouts and evidence based information: https://www.attendanceworks.org/
For more information, please visit the UGDSB website: https://www.ugdsb.ca/parents/student-attendance-at-school-tips-and-strategies-for-families/
UPDATED SCREENING TOOL
UPDATED SCREENING TOOL
The School and Child Care Screening Tool has been updated to align with recent recommendations from the Chief Medical Officer of Health. Please be sure to complete the screening before coming to school.
Students/children and visitors who do not pass the screening should follow the advice provided upon completion of the screening tool.
Celebrating Pride: Message from the Chair and Director of the UGDSB
This week, the Upper Grand District School Board and our schools across the region are kicking off Pride Month. During the month of June and throughout the year, the UGDSB supports 2SLGBTQIA+ staff, students and their families by celebrating the joy of identity and centering 2SLGBTQIA+ histories, contributions and excellence. We are committed to this work and supporting the 2SLGBTQIA+ community in all of our schools, offices and school communities.
Read more about Celebrating Pride: Message from the Chair and Director of the UGDSB »
Drayton Kinsmen Bursary
Drayton Kinsmen Member Gregg Young presents 2 cheques for $1000 each to Sydney Martens and Amy Kabbes on Monday, May 29. Congratulations and best of luck on your future endeavors!
Senior Art Show – Minto Gallery June 6-17
Thank you to the Minto Arts Gallery for inviting Norwell to participate in the show.
Parent/Caregiver Session Re: Apprenticeship & the Skilled Trades
We are excited to invite you to a special parent/caregiver session on apprenticeships and skilled trades, hosted by Jon Callegher, a renowned expert in the field. This session aims to provide valuable information and insights …
Read more about Parent/Caregiver Session Re: Apprenticeship & the Skilled Trades »
Student Council Meat Fundraiser
It’s that time of year when everyone dusts off the barbecues! Need meat? Order from Harriston Packers via the link. All proceeds to benefit our year-end Redsfest event!
UGDSB Long Term Accommodation Plan
At the May 9, 2023, Board meeting, Trustees received the “Long Term Accommodation Plan (LTAP) Draft Report”.
The LTAP is a planning document that discusses school facilities, population projections, and enrolment projections. The LTAP is used to help guide Capital …
Attention Grade 12 Graduates! The Norwell Scholarship Application Folder has been posted in the Grade 12 classroom. There are many different scholarships available, so check them out and apply. All scholarship applications in this folder are due to Guidance …