Supports for students, staff and members of the Muslim community
As a united UGDSB community, we are unwavering in our commitment to identifying and dismantling all forms of racism and oppression. Our dedication also extends to specifically addressing Islamophobia.
We stand in solidarity with the Muslim community. We acknowledge the profound impact of the tragic loss of members of the Afzal family in London, Ontario, and the observance of the current legal proceedings can have on the well-being of our staff, students, and the broader UGDSB community. Considering this, we appeal for empathy and support for those impacted.
Our dedicated UGDSB Support Services staff are here to support students and can be coordinated through their classroom teachers. For staff, Employee and Family Assistance Programs supports are available.
Students can also access the following supports:
- Naseeha Muslim Youth Hotline: 1 (866) 627-3342
- Guelph/Wellington: 1 844 437 3247 (HERE247)
- Dufferin: 519 941 1530 (DCAFS)
- Kids Help Phone: 1 800 668 6868
- Canadian Muslim Counselling
We also will continue to provide education to our students and staff about Islamophobia, and you can learn more by accessing the following resources, provided by the Muslim Society of Guelph:
- Resources against Islamophobia (International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group)
- Islamophobia and Preconceived Notions
- Watch the ‘Islamophobia is’ Video Series
The following resources are accessible to UGDSB staff:
- Islamophobia resources and supports (UGDSB Equity Website)
- Please reach out to the board’s Employee and Family Assistance Program