Weekly Update Nov 13, 2023

Posted November 13, 2023

Weekly Update Nov 13, 2023

We hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Happy Diwali to all families who celebrate! Students in our student voice club shared an announcement on Diwali this morning! Today is world kindness day and classes will be looking at how to foster kindness in the classroom and school community. 

Inclement Weather/Bus Cancellations: 

As the Winter weather approaches, end of day pickups can get very busy and hectic especially on snowy and rainy days.  While we do understand circumstances come up and last minute changes happen, we would greatly appreciate it if you make plans with your child(ren) before the start of the day should their end of day routine change due to snow/rain days. Thank you for your understanding and have a great day.

Please see the attached information on websites and social media, reminding families of where to get updates/alerts about bus cancellations and delays (i.e. STWDSTS) and where info gets posted about school closures due to inclement weather (i.e. UGDSB websites and social). https://www.ugdsb.ca/blog/its-that-time-of-year-again-everything-you-need-to-know-about-ug-inclement-weather-procedures/

Why survey will be done this week in grades 4-8-What is the purpose of the WHY Surveys?

The purpose of the Well-being Health and Youth (WHY) Surveys is to collect information from youth, parents, and school staff about youth health and well-being. These surveys will identify issues that could be addressed by schools, school boards, and local service providers. The information will be used to inform planning decisions, including Board Improvement Plans. Because the surveys will be conducted every two years, we can also monitor trends over time. Forms for the why survey as well as a parent refusal form to NOT participate have been sent home to explain more about the survey. Staff will be conducting this survey students in class this week in grades 4-8.

Dieleman’s Fundraiser: Grade 8 parents are hosting a graduation fundraiser. Catalogues were sent home and you can order online at www.shopdfscanada.com using organization ID 7894 by Monday, November 13th. Thanks for supporting the fundraiser!

Parents and guardians of elementary school children are invited to participate in the Strengths to Grow research study. This brief study is entirely online and can be completed at any time. Participants will complete two 10-minute surveys and the 30-minute Strengths to Grow program which helps parents identify and develop their child’s unique strengths. Every participant receives free access to the Strengths to Grow program. For more information, follow this link: https://bit.ly/strength-research  Strengths to Grow is a University of Guelph research project (approved through UGDSB)  that provides an amazing opportunity for parents to get a series of online modules for strengths-based parenting.  This is a FREE opportunity.

Progress Reports are available for parents to download from the parent portal on  November 16th. Please use the following link for more information:  https://sites.google.com/ugcloud.ca/parenthelp/report-cards-parent-portal

If for some reason, you are unable to access the portal and require a hard copy, please contact your child’s teacher.

Pa​​rent-Teacher Interviews:

The evening of Thursday, November 23rd and Friday, November 24th (PD Day-during the day) have been set aside for parent-teacher interviews. Interviews are being booked online and we will be doing interviews in person.  Booking online makes it accessible for parents booking interviews for more than one child. The online system will open Nov 16th at 9am and closes Wednesday, November 22nd at 10 p.m. Please see the attached letter with details on how to book interviews. https://docs.google.com/document/d/14JgEDD2wkXhhvJyclCaxBRztMbNJ97hdO295or4-_fk/edit?usp=sharing

Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:

We continue to create an equitable, safe and inclusive school environment at Rockwood Centennial. As we journey to shape the school culture, we invite all parents to be part of this enriching experience.  As part of this collaboration, the Canadian Congress on Inclusive Diversity will engage with parents to seek their valuable insights, answer questions, and hear feedback. We value your input and are eager to ensure that our approach aligns with your expectations.

We cordially invite you to a special event on Wednesday, November 29, 2023, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m in the library. This will be an opportunity to interact with the Canadian Congress team and further discuss the exciting initiatives planned.  Mark your calendars, as you can also expect to encounter the Canadian Congress team during your Parent-Teacher Meetings on Thursday, November 23rd evening and Friday, November 24th.  We encourage you to attend the meeting to stay informed and actively participate in shaping the future of your child’s education. For any immediate inquiries or to express your thoughts, please feel free to reach out to the Executive Director, Alex Ihama, at [email protected] or call 416-902-6672.  Join us in making a positive impact on the culture at Rockwood Centennial Public School. Your involvement and feedback are invaluable to us!  We look forward to your active participation in this exciting journey toward a more inclusive and diverse school environment.

Professional Activity Day Description: Friday,  November 24, 2023:

Elementary Topic: Parent-Guardian / Teacher Interviews

Entity Hosting: Upper Grand DSB

Description: Elementary Staff will spend the full day communicating with parents / guardians about student progress in advance of Progress Reports being distributed at the end of November.

November 17th is Picture retake day if you want your child to have their photo retaken.

Categories: NewsNewsletter