Food & Friends At Home Program
Like many in Dufferin, Wellington and Guelph, the Children’s Foundation is working towards continuing our support of the most vulnerable in our community despite the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. Now that the school year has begun, we are especially concerned about the children and youth who rely on our Food & Friends student nutrition programs.
With the closing of schools in March, the Children’s Foundation, in partnership with local organizations, responded with a temporary emergency support initiative called Fresh Food for Kids that provided almost 100,000 nutritious meals to local children and youth in need in Dufferin, Wellington and Guelph.
This initiative will transition to Food & Friends at Home to start the new school year. Families with children and youth supported by the Children’s Foundation through the Food & Friends Program will be eligible to submit a request for a Food & Friends at Home kit. This kit will provide one snack for each day of a two week period similar to what would be provided through a Food & Friends student nutrition program.
How It Works
• Parent(s) or Guardian(s) with children and youth supported by the Children’s Foundation through our Food & Friends Program are eligible to submit a request for a Food & Friends at Home kit. A list of programs supported by Food & Friends can be found here.
• Families in need of food support can request a Food & Friends at Home kit using this online form
• Only one request is required per family.
• To receive delivery, applicants must give consent to share the information on the application form with staff and volunteers who will be packing and delivering the kits.
• Deliveries will be made every two weeks starting the last week of September.
• Applicants will receive email notification of delivery details for the kits.
The Food & Friends at Home kits will follow nutritional guidelines. Deliveries will be made to the doorsteps of families in Dufferin, Wellington and Guelph.
For the safety of families and the community, volunteers delivering the kits will not enter homes. Our goal is to provide up to 3,000 Food & Friends at Home kits every two weeks for school-aged children and youth so that we can continue bringing healthy food to hungry minds.
If you are in need of completing any of the paperwork needed for Food & Friends at Home Kit please do not hesitate to contact the school office and Mrs. Shantz or Ms. Skerritt will be able to help you.