School Council Minutes June 2023
Salem Public School Council: Minutes
June 13, 2023
Attendees: Kyla Lightfoot, Courtney Ecclestone, Thomas Samson, Amanda Marson & Vanessa Cordes
Approval of minutes from May: Courtney Ecclestone approves & Thomas Samson seconds
Teachers Report: (Amanda Marson)
- Grade 6 grad-June 21st-please bring planters if anyone has extra.
- Students did a great job at track and field and were very excited to participate.
- Jump Rope for Heart will be happening on June 16th.
- Lots of fun field trips coming up!
- Play day happened this morning (Tuesday) and was a huge hit!
- With the help of Ms. Heffernan and Mrs. Diljee, the Equity club will be selling rainbow bracelets on Wednesday and stickers on Thursday for $2 in support of Pride month. The money raised will go toward equity initiatives in our school for next year.
- A big thank you from the kindergarten team to school council for covering the cost of the JK orientation bags
Principals Report: (Kyla Lightfoot)
Salem School goals based on Board focus on literacy, math, academic engagement, well-being, equity and sustainability
Foundational Education and Student Achievement
Literacy *new curriculum coming Math
Inspire a Lifelong Love of Learning
Ensure Equity of Access and Outcomes
|1. Family learning nights -e.g., math games, literacy nights to build community and share knowledge||1.Wide variety of student clubs and tournaments||1.Intervention to support learning gaps and attendance issues
2.Support board equity initiatives that focus on Human Rights for all (e.g., religion, culture, family structure)
|1. Reduce photocopying costs and use of paper
2.Green team initiatives
Treasurer Report: (Courtney Ecclestone)
- Charitable lunches: $0
- Fundraising: $8562.17
- General Fund: $337.37
- Milk: $0
- Nutrition Program: $6278.89
- Parent Engagement: $430.81
- Playground: $4364.12
- Playground maintenance: $668.77
- Student Activities & Teacher Allocations: $0
Plan for next year:
- Gaga pit: We are waiting for approval from the board, hopefully before the end of the school year, so that it can be installed and ready to use in September.
- Council will create a Google form to collect parent voice. We will discuss how to use this information to plan our year (e.g. put events on the calendar and determine how many volunteers we need etc./ present these ideas at October meeting). Also, what parents felt went well the previous year and what could be improved upon and what they would like to see from our school.
- Lauren Selby will be sending information to a guidance councillor at the high school to ask how to advertise to get high school students to volunteer at our events. This can then be used as their volunteer hours for graduation.
Council has come up with a rough idea of possible fundraisers and events for the 2023/2024 school year. Once decided on they will be posted in advance for families.
September: School Open House/ Council Information Night event, possible date of the 28th
October: Halloween Dance/ Orange & Black Day event
November: Krispy Kreme Fundraiser
December: Holiday Craft Night event
February: Chicken Fundraiser
April: Raise the Dough Fundraiser
June: Family Picnic event
- A fundraising “thermometer” in the foyer for students and families to have a visual on our fundraising status throughout the year.
- Movie night for families.
- Having Funscrip and Mables Labels run all year.
- Promoting all our events on Facebook/ 5 Things/Email/Flyers/Letterboard out front/ Agendas etc.
First Council Meeting of the 2023/2024 school year: Tuesday September 19 2023
Categories: School Council News