Salem P.S. Council-What is Salem P.S. Council?
The School council is an advisory body which represents the parents, staff and students within the community. They provide input to the Principal and, where applicable, to the board. The council contributes to improving the students’ environment and learning by working co-operatively with the staff and parent community.
The majority of council members are parents. Parent members may choose to be a parent representative or fill one of the four executive roles that are present on our council. These are Chair, coChair, secretary and treasurer. The council also includes one teaching staff member, community representatives, and the Principal. All council positions are for a one year term, beginning in September.
If you were on council you could:
- Assist in the development of our school improvement plans (system, school and curriculum)
- Participate on committees (School Environment, Communications, Fundraising, Parent Involvement)
- Be an executive member
- Provide input on the allocation of funds from fundraising events
- Provide input on fundraising events
- Be informed about our programs, school based decisions
- Provide input into the school’s code of conduct and dress code every 3 years
Council Members Responsibilities:
- Attend and participate in council meetings (approx. 5-6 per year)
- Contribute positively to the discussions at meetings
- Solicit the views of other parents and the community to share at meetings
Additional responsibilities for Executive Positions:
Chair and Co-Chair
- Communicate with the Principal/Vice Principal on behalf of Council and parents
- Arrange meeting dates and prepare agendas
- Chair Council meetings
- Record and maintain accurate records of Council meetings
- Maintain accurate and up to date accounting records for council funds
- Present a financial report at meetings
If you want to be a member of would like to discuss this further please email the school principal at [email protected] or come out to a meeting, they are open to everyone; you do not have to sit on council to attend a council meeting.
The first meeting of the 2023 – 2024 school year will be Tuesday September 19th at 6:30pm in the library. Meeting locations are communicated shortly before each meeting with the community. The first meeting of the year is in person at the school.