Updates For February 21-25, 2022
Hello Alma Families! Here are the 5 things you need to know today to keep up to date this week:
- Our milk program is in full swing at Alma PS. Thanks to the families who have chosen to participate. If you missed signing up for a milk card, you can do so anytime using School Cash Online here: https://ugdsb.schoolcashonline.com/.
- Due to the weather at the end of last week and the school closure, our Alma PS Olympics have been rescheduled for this coming Friday, February 25 during the last block of the day. We hope to have some more fresh snow before then as well. Please remember to dress for the weather as we hope to be outside a little more during this event. Thanks to our staff and student leaders who have planned for this fun community event.
- Our Student Nutrition Program here at Alma PS is sponsored heavily by the Food & Friends Program and the Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington. Each year, they host a Live Free event and ask families who are able to make a donation to the cause of bringing healthy food to hungry minds. This year’s event will be held on March 4th. Rather than having students bring in toonies for the cause, for those who wish to donate, you can do so at https://ugdsb.schoolcashonline.com/ starting today and up until March 9th.
- We are very excited that while the UGDSB is not holding its large Empowerment Day for grades 4-12 students in person yet, they have creatively made it possible for our students to participate in class using an online option. During the week of March 7-10, Alma PS grades 4-6 students will be watching pre-recorded sessions from other UGDSB students, Tessa Virtue (Canadian Figure Skating Icon), Autumn Peltier (Wikwemikong First Nation Water Advocate), Amanda Jette-Knox & Alexis Knox (Human Rights Advocate & Author), Ryan Straschinitzki (Humbolt Broncos Accident Survivor/Sledge Hockey Player), Peter Katz (JUNO Nominated Musician & Storyteller), Sam Demma (Youth Speaker, Co-Founder of Social Enterprise PickWaste), Tara Slone (Co-Host of CBC Hometown Hockey) and Stacey Kay (Singer, Finalist on America’s Got Talent). Staff have been provided with lesson plans to help students learn from the important messages that these guest speakers share.
- Don’t forget to mark the upcoming March Break on your calendar. This year, it runs a little differently as there is an extra day. It begins on Friday, March 11 and ends on Friday, March 18, 2022. We hope you can enjoy this time with your family and make many happy memories together.
Thanks as always for your continued support. If there’s anything the school can do to help, please let us know. We’re here to help!
Principal Alma PS