Updates For April 25-29, 2022
Hello Alma Families! Here are the 5 things you need to know today to keep up to date this week:
- Our School Council meeting will be held on Thursday, May 5, 2022 from 6:30 to 8:00 PM. The meeting will be held in the library learning commons but we will also offer a link for those who wish to join online via a Google Meet instead. For those attending in person, masking is recommended. If you are not on the School Council email list, please reach out to the school and we can add you before we share the agenda and meeting link later this week.
- We are very excited to have Mrs. Conti joining our Alma PS staff to help support our kindergarten gym classes. We welcome her to the team and are excited to have her share her experience and expertise with our students.
- May 2-6 across the UGDSB is both Education Week and Mental Health Week. We will be participating in various activities at school investigating the following themes: Monday (Learning), Tuesday, (Gratitude), Wednesday (Wellness), Thursday (Connection), and Friday (Moving Forward). Please feel free to explore these conversations at home as well.
- Mental Health Week is the launch date for a special 6 week journey we are taking here at Alma PS. Each Friday between May 6 and June 17 we will have a Feel Good Friday where students dress in what makes them feel great. Each week we also will be exploring a theme that promotes mental health awareness. They are:
May 6 – Critical And Creative Thinking
May 13 – Healthy Relationships
May 20 – Identification And Management Of Emotions
May 27 – Positive Motivation And Perseverance
June 10 – Self Awareness And A Sense Of Identity
June 17 – Stress Management And Coping With Stress
More details will be shared as events unfold but this will help to share where we are headed as a school community.
- Did you get your child new shoes for the start of school? Many students in Upper Grand need new shoes for school. Have you signed your children up for basketball, football, or swimming lessons? Sports are a great way to stay active. Many students in the Upper Grand are able to access these great opportunities only with the support of the “Freedom to Achieve” fund. On Tuesday, May 3, the UGDSB is celebrating a Toonie Tuesday fundraiser to help students and families across the Board have the freedom to achieve. You can donate by either using School Cash Online (The portal will be open tomorrow for donations until Friday, May 6) or if you would prefer a tax receipt for donations over $20, please follow the links found on this website for more information: https://www.uppergrandlearningfoundation.com/funds/free-to-achieve.aspx
There is also a special fundraiser planned for May 27 with great food, a Silent/Live Auction and a dance with The Neil Murray Band. You can learn more and register here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/uglf-3rs-retro-rock-and-roll-fundraising-gala-tickets-311266525557?aff=ebdsoporgprofile
Thanks as always for your continued support. If there’s anything the school can do to help, please let us know. We’re here to help!
Principal Alma PS