JK pre-registrations may continue to be processed online. Schools will post details for completing registrations, including document verification, by the end of August. School staff will be available on Tuesday Sept. 1, 2020, to process registrations. Please visit your school website during the last week of August for specific details.
*Please note that kindergarten pre-registrations are different from the pre-registration SURVEY, and therefore all steps will need to be completed for kindergarten registration*
FI Applications (Steps 4 and 5 below) are still being accepted in schools where there is space.
Is my child eligible to go to school?
For the 2020-2021 school year (registration opened on January 7, 2020):
- Children who were born in 2016 may attend Junior Kindergarten (JK).
- Children who were born in 2015 may attend Senior Kindergarten (SK).
- If your child attended JK in the Upper Grand District School Board you do not have to re-register for SK.
What are the program choices for my child?
In the Upper Grand District School Board, we use the blended program model. Junior and senior kindergarten students learn in the same classroom. All our elementary schools provide Full Day Kindergarten (FDK) for 4 and 5 year olds.
As a parent/guardian you have the option of enrolling your child in the English program or the French Immersion Program. The French Immersion and English programs share the same Ministry Kindergarten Program and expectations. In French Immersion the program is taught only in French.
French Immersion caps and entry point
Please note that each UGDSB elementary school that offers FI has a Junior Kindergarten enrolment cap. JK is the only entry point for French Immersion in Upper Grand. Entry into FI from other jurisdictions is possible if your child has previous FI experience. Check with the school for more detail.
You can only register for one school in the UGDSB. Registration in more than one school will void all registrations.
To learn more about the FI cap, entry point and random selection process, visit www.ugdsb.ca/jkfi.
How do I register my child?
- Pre-register your child (JK and SK) online at: UGDSB Pre-Registration Online Form
- In the online pre-registration site, use the school locator feature to determine which school your child can attend
- Check for a confirmation email indicating you’ve successfully completed pre-registration
- Once you have pre-registered, go to your child’s home school to drop off required documentation to complete your registration. Required documentation:
- Proof of Age (Birth Certificate, Birth Registration Form, Baptismal Certificate, Canadian Citizenship/Permanent Resident Card, Passport, & custodial documents (if applicable))
- Immunization Record (Please submit directly to Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health)
- Proof of Address (e.g. utility/tax bill, purchase/lease agreement, phone (landline)/cable/internet bill. A driver’s license, bank/credit card statements or cell phone bills are not accepted.)
- Verification of date or arrival/immigration documents (if child was not born in Canada)
- If you are registering your child for JK English, make sure you have completed your registration and submitted your documentation within two weeks of submitting your online pre-registration.
- For the 2020-2021 school year: If you are applying for your child to attend JK French Immersion, make sure you have completed your pre-registration, submitted your documentation, and received a FI Application Receipt directly from the school by January 20, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. The FI application process is not complete until you have received this receipt.
- For the current school year: If you are applying for your child to attend JK French Immersion, acceptance will be subject to available space.
Out if Area/Out of District Requests (OoA/OoD)
- If you are considering an Out of Area/Out of District request, please refer to Policy 501 for procedures, timelines and criteria for approval.
- The Out of Area/Out of District policy and procedures apply to both Regular track and French Immersion schools.
- Approval for any Out of Area/Out of District application is for one year only. There is no guarantee that there will be approval for the 2nd year or any subsequent applications.
- Transportation will not be provided for approved OoA/OoD requests.