Is my child eligible to go to school?
For the 2018-19 school year:
- Children who were born in 2014 may attend Junior Kindergarten (JK).
- Children who were born in 2013 may attend Senior Kindergarten (SK).
- If your child attended JK in the Upper Grand District School Board you do not have to re-register for SK.
What are the program choices for my child?
In the Upper Grand District School Board, we use the blended program model. Junior and senior kindergarten students learn in the same classroom. All our elementary schools provide Full Day Kindergarten (FDK) for 4 and 5 year olds.
As a parent/guardian you have the option of enrolling your child in the English program or the French Immersion Program. The French Immersion and English programs share the same Ministry Kindergarten Program and expectations. In French Immersion the program is taught only in French.
French Immersion caps and entry point
Please note that each UGDSB elementary school that offers FI has a Junior Kindergarten enrolment cap. JK is the only entry point for French Immersion in Upper Grand. Entry into FI from other jurisdictions is possible if your child has previous FI experience. Check with the school for more detail.
You can only register for one school in the UGDSB. Registration in more than one school will void all registrations.
To learn more about the FI cap, entry point and random selection process, visit www.ugdsb.ca/jkfi.
How do I register my child?
2018-19 School Year
- Pre-register your child (JK and SK) online at: UGDSB Pre-Registration Online Form
- In the online pre-registration site, use the school locator feature to determine which school your child can attend
- Check for a confirmation email indicating you’ve successfully completed pre-registration
- Once you have pre-registered, go to your child’s home school to drop off required documentation to complete your registration. Required documentation:
- Proof of Age (e.g. child’s birth certificate or passport)
- Immunization Record (Please submit directly to Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health)
- Proof of Address (e.g. utility/tax bill, bank statement, purchase/lease agreement. A driver’s licence is not accepted.)
- Verification of date or arrival/immigration documents (if child was not born in Canada)
- If you would like to register your child for JK French Immersion, please contact your French Immersion school on or after August 29, 2018, for more information about program space and waiting lists.