Is my child eligible to go to school?
2022-2023 School Year:
- Children who were born in 2018 may attend Junior Kindergarten (JK).
- Children who were born in 2017 may attend Senior Kindergarten (SK).
- If your child attended JK in the Upper Grand District School Board you do not have to re-register for SK.
How do I register my child?
Registration for the 2022-23 school year will open on January 4th, 2022. The French Immersion on-time application window for registration for the 2022-23 school year will open from January 4th – January 21st at 4:00pm.
Parents/guardians looking to register for the current school year can still register their child for JK and SK. Admission to French Immersion is subject to available space.
- Pre-register your child (JK and SK) online at: UGDSB Pre-Registration Online Form
- In the online pre-registration site, use the school locator feature to determine which school your child can attend.
- Check for a confirmation email response indicating you’ve successfully completed the pre-registration.
- The confirmation email will provide your child’s home school contact information.
- Once you have pre-registered, you will need to make an appointment with the school to have your documents verified.
- Proof of Age (Birth Certificate, Birth Registration Form, Baptismal Certificate, Canadian Citizenship/Permanent Resident Card, Passport, & custodial documents (if applicable))
- Proof of Address (e.g. utility/tax bill, purchase/lease agreement, phone (landline)/cable/internet bill. A driver’s license, bank/credit card statements or cell phone bills are not accepted.)
- Verification of date of arrival/immigration documents (if child was not born in Canada)
- Immunization Records do not need to be shared with the school. Please submit directly to Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health.
- If this is a registration for a JK English program, make sure you have completed your registration and made your appointment with the school to share documents and verify your registration information within two weeks of submitting your online pre-registration.
- If this is an application for a JK French Immersion program, please see the steps below outlining the deadlines and application process for completing your FI Application
French Immersion JK Application Process (completed at FI Schools in addition to the Document Verification Process )
- If you are applying for your child to attend JK French Immersion, make sure you have completed your pre-registration online, made your appointment with the FI school where you have registered to share your documentation and verify your registration information.
- You should have received an FI Application Receipt directly from the school (via email), and return it signed via email, by January 21, 2022 at 4:00 p.m. in order for your application to be considered ‘on-time’. The FI application process is not complete until you have met with the school and received this receipt.
- If you are applying for your child to attend JK French Immersion during the school year and after the on-time window has closed, acceptance will be subject to available space.
- To learn more about the FI cap, entry point and random selection process, visit www.ugdsb.ca/jkfi.
If you have any difficulty completing the online pre-registration, please contact your school. If you would like to have an interpreter or translator assist you, please contact the school or (immigrant services at (519) 836-2222). School attendance areas and contact information can be accessed through ‘school locator’ click here.
What are the program choices for my child?
In the Upper Grand District School Board, we use the blended program model. Junior and senior kindergarten students learn in the same classroom. All our elementary schools provide Full Day Kindergarten (FDK) for 4 and 5 year olds.
As a parent/guardian you have the option of enrolling your child in the English program or the French Immersion Program. The French Immersion and English programs share the same Ministry Kindergarten Program and expectations. In French Immersion the program is taught only in French.
French Immersion caps and entry points
Please note that each UGDSB elementary school that offers FI has a Junior Kindergarten enrolment cap. JK is the only entry point for French Immersion in Upper Grand. Entry into FI from other jurisdictions is possible if your child has previous FI experience. Check with the school for more detail.
You can only register for one school in the UGDSB. Registration in more than one school will void all registrations.
To learn more about the FI cap, entry point and random selection process, visit www.ugdsb.ca/jkfi.
Out of area/Out of district requests (OoA/OoD)
- If you are considering an Out of Area/Out of District request, please refer to Policy 501 for procedures, timelines and criteria for approval.
- The Out of Area/Out of District policy and procedures apply to both Regular track and French Immersion schools.
- Approval for any Out of Area/Out of District application is for one year only. There is no guarantee that there will be approval for the 2nd year or any subsequent applications.
- Transportation will not be provided for approved OoA/OoD requests.