French Immersion Information and Application Process
2022-23 school year
Each UGDSB elementary school that offers FI has a Junior Kindergarten enrolment cap. JK is the only entry point for French Immersion in UGDSB.
The French Immersion on-time application window for registration for the 2022-23 school year will open from January 4th – January 21st at 4:00pm.
Parents/guardians may continue to apply for JK FI after this date and time, however those applications will be considered ‘late’. Parents/guardians looking to register for the current school year can still register their child for JK and SK. Admission to French Immersion is subject to available space.
Parents/guardians looking to register for the current 2021- 2022, school year can still register their child for JK and SK. Admission to French Immersion is subject to available space.
Keep reading for more information regarding the French Immersion application and selection process.
Important information about JK FI in the UGDSB
- Junior Kindergarten (JK) is the only entry point to French Immersion (FI) for the 2022-2023- school year, those are children born in 2018.
- A JK FI enrolment cap is in place for each of our French Immersion schools.
- JK FI placement at one school, is for that school only.
- Placement in JK FI is not transferable between schools from the placement date to December 31 of the student’s JK year.
- Application can be made for JK FI at one school only. Applications in more than one school will void all applications.
- If the number of on-time JK FI applications received is greater than a school’s enrolment cap, a random selection process will occur.
- On-time applications for JK FI are NOT prioritized on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Random selection of on-time applications will consider the following prioritization:
- Applicants with siblings in FI in UGDSB (in-area)
- Applicants without siblings in FI in UGDSB (in-area)
- Waitlists will be created where the number of on-time applicants exceeded the number of spaces available. Students not offered placement as a result of random selection will be placed on a waitlist.
- A waitlist may also be created where a school which didn’t require random selection has more applications than available spaces at any time during the school year.
- Late applications will be placed on a waitlist on a first-come, first-served basis.
- To remain on a waitlist the student must be registered in a UGDSB regular track (English language) school.
- The waitlist will remain in place for the length of the child’s JK Year.
- Late, in-area, applicants will be considered on a first-come first-serve basis, subject to available space.
Out of Area/Out of District Requests (OoA/OoD)
- If you are considering an Out of Area/Out of District request, please refer to Policy 501 for procedures, timelines and criteria for approval.
- The Out of Area/Out of District policy and procedures, and timelines, apply to both Regular track and French Immersion schools.
- Approval for any Out of Area/Out of District application is for one year only. There is no guarantee that there will be approval for the 2nd year or any subsequent applications.
- Initial and renewal Out of Area/Out of District requests cannot cause class sizes to exceed caps in any subsequent years.
- Other key Out of Area/Out of District points for consideration in FI:
- These requests are not part of the random selection process
- Out of Area/Out of District requests submitted by March 31st will be processed by the end of June.
- Out of Area/Out of District requests will only be considered where space is available, after IN AREA students (both on time and late) have been placed.
- Out of Area/Out of District requests are subject to Superintendent approval, following the Out of Area/Out of District process (Policy 501) of the registration year.
- Transportation will not be provided for approved Out of Area/Out of District requests.
JK FI enrolment caps for the 2022-2023 school year:
|École Arbour Vista Public School||200 McCann Street, Guelph||40|
|Edward Johnson Public School||397 Stevenson St. N., Guelph||46|
|Fred A. Hamilton Public School||160 Ironwood Road, Guelph||35|
|Gateway Drive Public School||33 Gateway Drive, Guelph||29|
|École Guelph Lake Public School||595 Watson Pkwy N., Guelph||58|
|John McCrae Public School||189 Water Street, Guelph||58|
|École King George Public School||72 Lemon Street, Guelph||46|
|Paisley Road Public School||406 Paisley Road, Guelph||29|
|Victory Public School||135 Exhibition Street, Guelph||29|
|École Harris Mill Public School||207 MacLennan Street, Rockwood||29|
|James McQueen Public School||365 St. George Street West, Fergus||50|
|Parkinson Centennial Public School||120 Lawrence Avenue, Orangeville||50|
|Princess Elizabeth Public School||51 Elizabeth Street, Orangeville||50|
|Centennial Hylands Elementary School||35 School Road, Shelburne||26|
|Brisbane Public School||RR #2, 9426 Wellington Road 124, Erin||40|
|Palmerston Public School||530 Prospect St., Box 430, Palmerston||29|
- Annual French Review Background Report for 2021 22
- Annual French Review Background Report for 2020-21
- Annual French Review Background Report for 2019-20
- Annual French Review Background Report for 2018-19
- Annual French Review Background Report for 2017-18
- For general UGDSB registration and admissions information, please visit the Admission and Registration page on the board website
- For information on French as a Second Language at UGDSB, visit www.ugdsb.ca/fsl. For information on French Immersion, please visit www.ugdsb.ca/fi
- To determine which school your child is eligible to attend, visit the UGDSB’s School Locator