FAQ – Teaching Employment Opportunities
Does the Board accept applications on a general basis?
- The Board accepts applications only when a position is available and posted.The Board does not accept unsolicited applications.
Where are positions posted?
Where do I send applications for posted teaching positions?
- Please follow the directions indicated on each posting. External candidates should register on Apply to Education at www.applytoeducation.com and post required documents on the site.
Do I need to be registered on Apply to Education?
- Yes, all candidates who are external to the UGDSB must apply to positions through Apply to Education. Only those registered will be considered.
Do I need an Ontario College of Teachers Certificate to be considered for teaching positions?
- Yes, only qualified teachers will be considered for teaching positions.
I am a new grad but my paperwork has not been processed by the Ontario College of Teachers, can I apply for a teaching position?
- You, but you should be in Good Standing with the Ontario College of Teachers by the time the position is to start.
Do I need to be on the supply list before I can apply for a Long Term Occasional and Contract position?
- For Elementary and Secondary Long Term Occasional positions and contract positions, you do not need to be on the Occasional Roster to apply. However for Long Term Occasional positions, your application can only be considered if there are no internal applicants.
How long are positions posted?
Is a Police Record Check required prior to applying for a teaching position?
- Once an individual has been hired for a position, we require the Criminal Records Check including a Vulnerable Sector Screening not more than 6 months old prior to the commencement of employment.
If I am successful in obtaining a teaching position, what documentation will the Board require before I start my position?
- A Criminal Records Check including a Vulnerable Sector Screening not more than 6 months old prior to the commencement of employment.
Does the Upper Grand District School Board attend job fairs?
- At this time, the Upper Grand District School Board does attend many job fairs throughout Ontario and in some other provinces.
Does the Upper Grand District School Board conduct “Pool Hiring”?
- Typically pool hiring has only been conducted for Elementary French teachers.
- If the Board determines that they require to Pool Hire, this information will be placed on Apply to Education.
I have been applying for positions and have not been contacted by a Principal. What should I do?
- Consider volunteering in some local schools on a regular basis. This will allow you to demonstrate, and build on, your skills as a teacher while connecting with others in the teaching profession.
How do I know the appropriate people received my resume?
- Apply to Education will give you a confirmation that your resume has been sent. Once you have sent your resume through ATE, Principals have access.
Do Principals have access to view my resume if I don’t apply to the positions available?
- No, Principals can only see resumes that have been sent through ATE for positions they have posted.