English as a Second Language (ESL)

We are currently offering in-person and online classes.

To register, please email: [email protected] or call 519-766-9551.

St. George’s Centre for Adult ESL is a school for newcomers to Guelph who want to learn English or improve the English skills they already have. Together, newcomers from around the world improve their English listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, and learn about living in Guelph. St. George’s Centre for ESL is also a place for newcomers to meet new people, share experiences about settling in Canada, and make friends.

Classes are free for Canadian citizens, permanent residents, convention refugees, and refugee claimants. Temporary residents and visitors are also welcome to attend classes for a fee depending on class availability. Classes are offered 12 months per year.

St. George’s Centre for Adult ESL is part of the family of Wellington Centre for Continuing Education schools which is part of the publicly-funded Upper Grand District School Board.

St. George’s Centre for Adult ESL is located at:
21 King Street
Guelph, Ontario, N1E 4P5
Telephone number: 519-766-9551
Fax number: 519-766-9485
Email: [email protected] or fill out our Contact Form.

All ESL learners must have a current language assessment before registration. To get a language assessment, permanent residents, refugee claimants, convention refugees, live-in caregivers and citizens, please go to:

Immigrant Services – Guelph Wellington
104 Dawson Road, Unit 102



Frequently Asked Questions

Yes – if you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, convention refugee, or a refugee claimant. If you are a temporary resident who is visiting, working or studying in Guelph, you must pay a fee. Please see our Visitors Information pamphlet for more information.

From September to June, classes start at 9:00 a.m. and end at 11:30 a.m. In July and August, classes start at 8:30 a.m. and end at 11:00 a.m.

From September to June, classes start at 12:30 p.m. and end at 3:00 p.m. In July and August, classes start at 11:30 a.m. and end at 1:30 p.m.

Evening classes start at 6:45 p.m. and finish at

You can start many classes at any time as long as there is room in a class.

You can register by phone from Monday to Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. There is also registration on Monday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Call 519-766-9551 to book a registration appointment

We ask you for your address and your telephone number and the name and telephone number of an emergency contact. We ask you when you are available to come to school.

Yes, if the course you would like to register for is currently being offered and there is a seat available in the class. Sometimes our classes are full; however, your name will be placed on a waiting list. You will be contacted by phone when there is a space in the class.

In the day program, the semesters begin the first week of September, the first week of January, the ____ week of April and the first week of July.

We offer classes from Canadian Language Benchmark 1 to 9. We also offer classes from Foundation Literacy Benchmarks 1 to 4. Find more information about benchmarks at www.language.ca.

When you have progressed one level, you may request a certificate.

Every term your instructor will ask to meet with you to look at your portfolio. Your collection of assessments will show your instructor that you are ready to progress. You can progress in one skill, or two, or three or all skills. Your instructor will look at the successful assessments that say “yes” and have a grade of 3 or 4. If you have 8 to 10 successful assessments in one skill, your CLB will change in that skill. Sometimes there will be a change in the level of your class. This will happen when 3 out of 4 skills are completed for the level of the class.

Yes, there is some free parking but there are limited spaces.

Yes, there is a school bus for the day program from Monday to Friday for eligible learners. Please contact us for more information.

Yes, but only if you are a permanent resident or a convention refugee. Canadian citizens and refugee claimants are not eligible. However, if you are a Canadian citizen or a refugee claimant, you may be eligible for subsidized daycare while you go to school. Contact www.wellington.on.ca. Click on Social Services and then go to Child Care Services.