PMPS Weekly Update June 14th, 2023
Good Evening Mustang Families,
A reminder that tomorrow evening is our Arts Night and Family Fun Night from 530-7pm. We hope to see everyone out. More details are below.
It’s been another good week at Princess Margaret. Mrs. Smith’s class is working hard on our community garden with Mrs. Ellis, the kindergartens in Mrs. Christie’s and Mrs. Taylor’s class are starting their metamorphosis, and our intermediate students enjoyed a great overnight trip to Niagara Falls. Please check out Twitter: @margaret_ps. I update our website regularly as well: www.ugdsb.ca/PrincessMargaret/ . Please take a moment once and while and check out all of our great news!
Important Upcoming Dates:
-Tomorrow: Rescheduled Compass Run at School: Please donate food items for the food bank if possible. Please also bring extra water and sunscreen.
-Tomorrow: Arts Night and Family Fun Night 530-7pm: Please come and join us to see some wonderful art, participate in family games, and enjoy free watermelon provided by school council, and freezies that will be on sale for $1.00 by our grade 8s. Our kindergartens are also hosting a book sale. Books will be $1.00 and all proceeds go to our new kindergarten gardens. All families who attend will receive a ballot for their chance to win a summer family fun basket!
-June 16th: All library books need to be returned to school by this date. Thank you
-June 26th: PMPS grade 8 grad
-June 28th: School Wide Play Day (outside: please pack extra water and sunscreen)
-June 29th: Last Day of School & Assembly
-June 30th: PD Day (no school for students)
Upcoming Spirit Days:
-Tomorrow: Beach Day: shorts, tshirts, sandals, hats, sunglasses
-June 23rd: Eco Day: Pick up garbage, outdoor learning, lights out
-June 29th: Canada Day! Wear red and white and/or Canada Day accessories
Grades 5-8 STEM/Numeracy Camp, STEMAPALOOZA: We are very hopeful to see these camps run. Please click on the link for more details: Stemapalooza Camp Flyer
Freezie days: Freezie sales continue at PMPS. This week freezies will be sold on Tuesday and Thursdays. Freezies will cost $1.00 and students can bring cash to school to pay. All profits will go towards our grade eight grads.
Milk Sales: Our wonderful Student Council continues to sell milk. The milk costs $1.00 each. Milk sale profits support our Student Council.
Please see below for our school council meeting minutes from June 5th. Our next meeting will be on September 18th, 2023. We will see everyone back tomorrow and Friday for more learning.
Andrea Papavasiliou, Principal
PARENT COUNCIL MINUTES – June 6 th , 2023 (last meeting for this school year)
In attendance: Andrea Papavasiliou, Billie Jo Reid, Emily Mallett, Jessica Keats-Marchildon, Kelly Hutchinson, Rebecca Lindo, Shannon Stirling, Ida Carr
- Land Acknowledgement and Board Anti-Racism Statement
- $500 of PIC funding remaining: Voted to cover the admin costs from the Craft Fair and Flower flyers, the watermelon for Family Fun Night (Shannon to purchase and hand out at FFN event), and 3x $100 gift baskets for a raffle on FFN (Kelly to purchase baskets and manage ballots at FFN event).
- Andrea proposed a new school banner, having the tarmac games repainted, and supporting our Special Olympic athletes and peer coaches next year with reusable shirts.
o Tarmac repainting update – no estimate is yet available
o Special Olympics success o First time in 3 years o Request for a banner for the shade tent o Town Tees can provide a $78 banner o Kim Ellis is looking for volunteers to set up on Wednesday, June 15 (Rebecca and Emily will help)
- Flower fundraiser – many concerns were brought forward about the quality of the flowers this year and we had several customer service complaints. Voted not to do this fundraiser for 2023/2024 school year.
- A volunteer was found for the annual Track and Field Day – thank you Shannon! • Kindergarten Information Session – Emily attended and spoke to all parents present. Positive responses. Many families took the business cards and expressed an interest in joining Parent Council for next school year. o First Parent Council meeting for next year is Monday, September 18th, 6pm.
- 2023 Holiday Craft Fair – where are we at with vendors, what can we do over the summer months? o Jessica sought feedback on the Google Form for the vendors
o A vendor flyer, for posting the application, is needed
o We also discussed whether anyone could mentor with Jess this year to learn how to take over the vendors’ market application process
o Kelly, Rebecca and Ida would like to help … maybe with the silent auction
o We discussed more logistics of the vendor market setup (mapping, layout, # of tables, etc.)
o Andrea will order tables and the vendor permit (DONE)
- We received a quote from Town Tees for providing every student with a shirt next year.
o 300 royal blue shirts (youth sizes) with Mustang logo would cost $4260 (tax included)
o Adult sizing is only 2 cents more o We can explore the possibility of offering other items, e.g. a buff
- Teacher’s Report & Principal’s Report
o Staff attended professional development for targeted math goals
o EQAO for grades 3 and 6 went well
o Bike Roadeo – 18 students participated, and PMPS are champions again
o Upcoming spirit days
o Inclusive Pride flag raised
o PD day for student attendance and mental health, accessibility, cricket, math and literacy goals, multi-year plan
o JK orientation o Swim to Survive
o Grade ⅞ trip to Niagara Falls
o June 26th – grad
o 286 enrollment for next year, subject to change
- Further discussion about our ultimate fundraising goal, the Outdoor Learning Space.
o We discussed the option of identifying priorities so that we can attain one item at a time (instead of having a big vision for the learning space as a whole)
o Emily suggested we start with a table, shelter can be further down the road.
o Billie Jo suggested that the table have an easel of sorts, so that ideas can be written down outside.
o Shannon suggested a flat landscaping rock for the table. Emily to research pricing of wood vs rock.
o Jessica suggested that it include a shelter.
o Andrea is expecting an upcoming cost to repair the broken swing and teeter totter for which Parent Council covers cost.
- Vote for Council Positions for 2023/2024 school year:
o Jessica and Billie-Jo stepping down.
o Chair – Emily Mallett
o Secretary (Minute taking) – Ida Carr
o Treasurer – we can eliminate this role, as our account is included under the school’s account and administered through Jodi in the school office.
- Over the summer months, Emily will work on a set of ByLaws, as per Board’s guidelines and available templates, for Parent Council. Emily to create an IG social media page for the school, following posts from PMPS Twitter (managed by Andrea) and to create a bulletin board for Parent Council to use at the front of the school for next year.
- First Parent Council meeting for next year is Monday, September 18th, 6pm. We meet virtually once a month and welcome all new members! Please call the school office for the meeting code.