Congratulations and thank-you to the following parents who were elected during the September meeting and agreed to serve on Council for the 2019-2020 school year. Thank you also to the many other parents who’ve expressed eagerness and support to generate some great ideas and initiatives that will increase the learning experience for all of our students!
School Council Executive for 2019-2020
- Chair: Cari Mistry
- Co-Chair: Bonnie Gerrits
- Treasurer: Narius Mistry
- Secretary: Miranda O’Connor
- School Council Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lunch Inquiry Email: email@example.com
School Councils are established in each school to encourage and facilitate parental involvement. Research has shown that the involvement of parents and guardians in their children’s education has a positive impact on improved student learning and helps to create a sense of community at the school. The support of the community has also proven to be an enhancement to that positive learning environment. By working together as partners, we can encourage greater academic achievement and prepare our students for success as responsible, participating citizens of the global community.
Role of the School Council
School Councils advise principals and, where appropriate, the school board on issues affecting the education programs and the operation of individual schools. Their membership reflects both the school and the community and includes parents and guardians of students, the principal, a teacher, a student representative (secondary school councils), a non-teaching school staff member as well as members from the community at large. Parents and guardians must make up the majority of council members.
The members of School Councils shall:
- place the interests of the school and students first;
- participate in Council meetings;
- participate in information and training programs;
- act as a link between the School Council and the community;
- encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community; and seek to reach consensus in the decision-making processes of the Council.
Are you wondering how you can get involved in your child’s education and help support Spencer Avenue E.S. students? Please consider joining School Council!
When strong bridges are built between home and school, it becomes possible to build something truly amazing!
School Council By-Laws