December News 2022
December promises to be an exciting month with many celebrations to share. The Winter Break is only a few weeks away. We hope that everyone has a safe and restful holiday!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
- November 28th – December 16th Food Drive
- December 6 – 7:00 Virtual School Council Meeting’
- December 9 -Silly Sock Day! – Wear your brightest coloured, patterned and/or mismatched socks.
- December 12 – 16 – Lost and Found Items out
- December 16 – Festive Colours Day – Wear your favourite Holiday Colours
- December 22 – Last day before the Winter Break Cozy Day! Wear Comfy Cozy Clothes to school
- December 23 – January 6 – Board Holiday
- January 10 – Kindergarten Registration
- January 27 – PA Day – No School
LOST & FOUND
Items that are in our Lost and Found will be on display in our front foyer during the week of December 12 – 16. Please encourage your child to visit and look in our front foyer for any lost items.
This is a time of year when we are perhaps a little more aware of the importance of reaching out and helping others in our community. From November 28th – December 16th, we will be collecting non-perishable items to donate to the Food Bank. The class with the highest number of donations will win an ice cream sandwich party!
LEARNING COMMONS NEWS
Just a reminder to send library books back to school before December 23rd. All books automatically have a 2 week loan limit, so they will be overdue if not returned before the holidays. If your child has any overdue books that can’t be located at home or school, please send an email to [email protected] so we clear up their account and get them borrowing books again in the new year!
INCLEMENT WEATHER INFORMATION
The months of January and February can bring some of our worst weather. To determine whether schools are open or closed check the board or school website: https://www.ugdsb.ca/ and https://www.ugdsb.ca/winegard/ and click on the yellow school bus located at the top of the home page. Information about cancellation and closures will also be shared on the local radio stations: 1460 AM CJOY, 106.1 Magic FM. William C. Winegard PS is located in DIVISION 1 YELLOW – South Wellington, Guelph and Puslinch
Please note that it is the parents’ responsibility to determine whether or not it is safe for their child to leave for school in inclement or severe weather. A parent must be aware of the following:
- If buses are cancelled in Division 1, elementary schools are open to students, secondary schools are closed.
- When a bus does not travel a route in the morning due to fog, ice, or snow conditions, it will not travel that route in the afternoon.
- While we have an excellent transportation system, buses may be delayed in the morning due to traffic, poor road conditions, mechanical breakdowns, etc. To ensure your child is not stranded at his/her pick-up point; please make sure he/she knows what to do and where to go if the bus is more than 15 minutes late. Listen for messages on your local radio station for the City of Guelph – Yellow Card.
- If it is an Emergency Closure Day: When schools are closed to both students and staff (e.g. power outages, weather closures formerly known as “System Shutdown”) we will pivot to online learning. Information will be shared with families from the homeroom teacher. Check your child’s google classroom in the morning.
SCHOOL COUNCIL NEWS
Please be advised that the PIC event “Building the Best School Councils” scheduled for Saturday, December 3rd at Centre Wellington District High School is postponed due to low registration numbers.
If you have any questions regarding School Council fundraising please email William C. Winegard School Council Fundraising – [email protected]
The next School Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 6th – 7:00pm. The link to the meeting can be found in the school calendar.
Pizza and Milk
Our next round of pizza will run on Wednesdays from January 11th through March 8th inclusive. (9 weeks)
Milk will run for the same time frame with the option to purchase Monday, Wednesday & Friday or Wednesday only. Orders are to be made through schoolcashonline and will be open from December 2nd until December 16th. LATE ORDERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! The orders must be in with the pizza company before the Christmas break.
If you haven’t already done so, please register for schoolcashonline. All school purchases are made online through this system. It is easy to register and once you set it up, your child will use the same account throughout their years in elementary and secondary school. You will receive reminder emails about events and items available. Please use the link below to register.