Updates For January 9-13, 2023
Hello Alma Families! Here are the 8 things you need to know today to keep up to date this week:
- Our School Council is looking at which components to include in our design phase for our new school playground at our next meeting held on Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 6:30 PM in the school learning commons. An opportunity for feedback will be given at our meeting and then the committee will work on submitting ideas to the UGDSB for our proposal. The agenda for each meeting is emailed so If you’re not on the School Council email list and would like to be, please let us know by sending an email to [email protected]
- Kindergarten pre-registration for new students happens online from January 10-27, 2023. Children born in 2019 may attend Junior Kindergarten and children born in 2018 may attend Senior Kindergarten. For more information, please visit https://www.ugdsb.ca/kindergarten/.
- Please remember the changes to the UGDSB volunteer policy. We’ve had many people complete the paperwork and the Vulnerable Sector Check from the OPP but we’re happy to have more people on our volunteer list. This will be a requirement for opportunities to work with students or attend school trips so please complete it now so you’re ready for any upcoming trips that might arise. If you have questions, please contact the school office.
- We are fortunate to have been given some more yard supervision time. Aliesha Tindall has joined our team and is supporting at both recesses. We are grateful for her support!
- Our Before and/or After School Program (BASP) survey will be opened for parents/guardians starting on January 10, 2023.
The survey is intended to gather information about the number of children who need before and/or after school care for September 2023 at schools that do not currently offer a BASP.
Please complete the BASP survey if your child will be entering JK/SK in September 2023 or is currently registered in Kindergarten to Grade 5 and will need access to a BASP and if a Program is not already offered in your child’s school. Only parents requiring care at these schools are asked to complete the survey (one per family).
The survey will close at the end of the day on January 31, 2023, and will not reopen after this point in time, so please take a moment to fill out the survey in the time frame allotted.
BASP’s within UGDSB schools are not board operated. It is important to note that the addition of a new BASP is solely reliant on the ability of a Third Party Child Care Operator to provide these services. Information from the survey about before and/or after school needs is helpful when determining the viability of a new Program and understanding the needs of families is helpful for their consideration.
Please note that the completion of the survey does not guarantee that a Before and/or After School Program (BASP) will be offered at your child’s school and does not register your child or put them on a wait list.
- Please see attached flyer in your email for an informative session for parents and guardians on anti human sex trafficking. The session (Jan 31, 2023 06:00 PM) will be hosted by Women in Crisis (note that resources will be shared for both Dufferin and Wellington Counties).
- In December our school collected 334 items for our local food bank. Thank you SO much to our families for their donations. They were greatly appreciated. The class who collected the most items was Ms. Woods’ class. Our generous School Council has offered a pizza party to the winning class. Information about that party will be shared with the class in the coming weeks.
- Our current pizza order runs until January 24. Our next round of pizza orders from Vito’s Pizza is now live on School Cash Online. Orders will be closing on January 22. This round will run from January 31 to March 28. Please remember that if your child is not in attendance on a pizza day, leftover slices will be shared with a sibling where possible, or they will be considered a donation to the school. If a pizza day falls on a snow day, there will be an attempt to reschedule the pizza day and changes will be communicated with families. You can place your pizza order or order a new milk card if need be here: https://ugdsb.schoolcashonline.com/.
Thanks as always for your continued support. If there’s anything the school can do to help, please let us know. We’re here to help!
Principal Alma PS