Safe and Inclusive Resources at Centennial
Throughout the year CCVI works to build an equitable and inclusive community for all.
New Spartans – Transition
- Grade 9 – Link Crew Council provides a transition and peer mentorship program for all Grade 9s. Contacts: Caitlin O’Brien (caitlin.o’[email protected]), Kristie Bradey ([email protected])
- Grade 10-12 & International – New Spartan Mentors provide a transition and mentorship program for students who are new to CCVI and may need transition support. Staff members and school leaders are paired up with new Spartans as lines of support throughout the year. Mentor and mentee information is shared on the UgCloud.
- Bullying Prevention Week (Fall)
- Diversity Week (Spring)
- Mental Health Week (Spring)
Participation in Upper Grand District School Board Initiatives
- Rainbow Conference – LQBTQ (Spring)
- Poverty Challenge – learning about oppression (Spring)
- Safe Talk training – suicide prevention (Fall)
- Youth Talk – mental health (Fall)
- First Nations Métis Inuit (FNMI) opportunities (all year)
All students are invited to participate as leaders with the school’s Student Leadership Council (SLC). The SLC includes Academic Council, Arts Council, Events Council, Link Crew, Social Responsibility Council, Spartan Equity Acceptance and Diversity (SEAD), Sports Council, and Student Council. Contact: Kristie Bradey ([email protected])
First Nations Métis Inuit (FNMI)
Students can self-identify as FNMI by visiting Guidance and completing a short form. Self-identification opens up opportunities for students such as conferences, scholarships and art events for FNMI students.
- Faith Fusion – Student-led group discusses faith and religion and participates in inter-faith activities (Tuesday at Lunch, Drama Rm)
- Open Prayer Space – Basement of Learning Commons (Available anytime, Notify Learning Commons staff of intent to use)
- Friday Prayer (Room A215 at lunch)
- All Gender Bathrooms – E111 (Tech Wing) and Accessibility Washroom (middle of 2nd floor)
- Showers available in Phys-Ed wing
- Contact: Colleen Craig ([email protected])
Spartan Equity & Diversity (SEAD Council) meets Wednesdays at lunch in A201 to discuss and promote ideas relating to equity and diversity. Contact: Jennifer Phillips ([email protected]), Jennifer Manzo ([email protected])
International Culture Club meets Thursdays at lunch in room C209. All are welcome.
- Breakfast Program – Quick breakfasts available (Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 9:00am)
- Food Stop – Snacks (cereal and fruit) available in Guidance (Daily)
- Hot Lunches – Microwave frozen meals in ProSocial Classroom (Room A103, Monday – Thursday, 12pm – 12:45pm)
At CCVI, we have zero tolerance for bullying. If a student is witness to, or a victim of bullying, they are encouraged to report the incident to a CCVI staff member OR anonymously using the UGDSB online reporting tool at https://webapps.ugdsb.on.ca/reportbullying
A faith-based calendar is posted in the office and used to inform staff and students of monthly holy days.
A team of professionals is available including CYCs (Child & Youth Counsellors). Visit Guidance for more details. Also coming back soon: the Talking Locker.
We continue to work at keeping our indoor and outdoor spaces as places we can be proud of using and living in. We have a community garden, outdoor class space, are proud to be a Platinum EcoSchool, and help maintain a three-tier waste management system (waste, recycling and backyard composting).
QUESTIONS? IDEAS? FEEDBACK? WANT TO HELP?
Contact: Chris Fiddes ([email protected])