How To Apply
Applications for the 2020/21 Preparatory Program (for students currently in Grade 8) are available here on the website, the GCVI website and in the GCVI main office. A list of student involvements, teacher recommendations and written assessments are all part of the application process. All Applications are due no later than Friday December 6th 2019 at 12:00pm in the GCVI Main Office.
To apply for the program you must:
- Be enrolled in Grade 8
- Provide a copy of your Grade 8 progress report
- Provide a copy of your Grade 7 report card
- List your involvements and extra-curriculars
- Provide two teacher input forms (one from a math or language arts teacher)
- Write two assessments: math problem-solving assessment; language assessment
- Pay $50 (non-refundable) application processing fee payable to GCVI
- Submit the application package and fee to the [email protected] Coordination Office/Main Office at GCVI
Forms You Will Need
Applications are available at GCVI’s main office, or you can download it here.
Preparatory Program Assessments
A math problem-solving assessment and written assessment will follow for all applicants in November. Applicants will attend one of two sessions offered at GCVI.
Assessment Option #1 will be Wednesday November 27th 6:30pm-7:45pm in the Cafeteria.
Assessment Option #2 will be Saturday November 30th 10:00am-11:15am in the Cafeteria.
Please notify the IB @GC Coordination Office if you require accommodations (as per IEP) or accessibility support as GCVI is not yet an accessible building.
* Please bring a calculator and a writing utensil and arrive 15 minutes prior to assessment time.
* Attend your preferred assessment date, no registration required.
Notification of Acceptance
An IB Admissions Committee will review each application and grant acceptance to those students who qualify in terms of academic record, learning skills and past performance. These students will be notified of their acceptance into the program by letter (Email). Successful applicants will be offered a seat in the program. Students who are offered a spot on the waitlist will also receive a letter.
Confirmation (January 8, 2019)
Students must confirm their seat in the IB Programme by responding to the offer by email/google form, and by notifying their elementary home school. Students who do not communicate their intention by the deadline will automatically be declined admission to the programme.
Students new to the region and the UGDSB may submit applications after the deadline, for review on a case by case basis. We can not guarantee admission for late applicants.
If you have questions, please contact Alexandra (Sandy) Zahnd at [email protected]
Have I Missed My Chance to Apply?
If it is after December 6, 2019 and you have not yet applied to the program and you wish to, please download the application package and review our expectations. Please contact the [email protected] Coordination Office at 519 824 9800 ext 340 for more details and instructions.