How To Apply for Grade 9 entry in 2024
To apply for the program you must:
- Be enrolled in Grade 8
- Complete the online application before Friday December 1, 2023 at 3 pm. The application includes:
- biographical information
- “Get to Know You!”
- indication of the mathematic and language assessment date
- Provide a copy of your Grade 7 FINAL and Grade 8 progress report card email to: [email protected] (this email is for report cards and IEPs only)
- Write a math problem-solving assessment and language assessment on either Nov. 25, 2023 at 9:30 am or Nov. 29 at 4:30 pm (preferred dates) or on Dec. 5th at 4:30 for applications coming in near the deadline.
- If you have an Individualized Education Plan you can, if you choose, submit your IEP with your report card to [email protected]
- Here is the link to IB@GC’s inclusion policy
Preparatory Program Assessments
*The applicant will indicate their preferred date on the online application. You will NOT recieve confirmation of your assessment date. You are simply expected to attend the date you select.
Students come to GCVI on their selected assessment date. Students may arrive 15 minutes before the assessment.
Students will complete a language assessment. The language assessment asks students to complete multiple choice questions that tests English language skills in the areas of reading and writing.
Students will then have a 15 minute break.
Next, students will complete a math problem-solving assessment.
The math assessment is based on grade 8 math, much of which will already be introduced to the student. The assessment is comprised of 15 multiple-choice problem-solving-based questions. The student is encouraged to attempt each question.
In terms of what the 15 multiple choice questions cover here are the concepts:
- to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions.
- to know order of operations. Brackets are done first, then Exponents, then Division and Multiplication, and lastly Addition or Subtraction.
- to change percents to decimals. Solve questions that incorporate percent to find the sales tax or interest.
- to know how to use some formulas for area and volume.
- to know how to use Pythagorean theorem
- to know that in a triangle, the three interior angles always add to 180°.
Here is a LINK to some math problems. Students are asked not to stress if they do not know all the answers – they will learn this over the course of grade 8 AND students are not expected to know everything.
Notification of Acceptance (3:30 pm on Friday Dec. 15, 2023)
An IB Admissions Committee will review each application and grant acceptance to those students who qualify in terms of academic record, learning skills, and past performance. These students will be notified of their acceptance into the program by letter (email). Successful applicants will be offered a seat in the program. Students who are offered a spot on the waitlist will also receive notice of their waitlist status. Students who are declined will also be notified.
Confirmation (Jan. 12, 2024)
Students must confirm their seat in the IB Programme by responding to the offer by google form which is sent by email with the acceptance, and by notifying their elementary home school. Students who do not communicate their intention by the deadline will automatically be declined admission to the programme.
If you have questions, please contact Angela Snell at [email protected] or call 519.824.9800